none
Project Online Resourcing RRS feed

• Question

• I am just playing with the trial version of Project Online and Project Pro. I want to assign roles to project tasks, but don't want to set up new users in the system so I can see what the different resourcing views can get me - how can I do that?
    Monday, March 3, 2014 4:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Frobison,

You can go to the resource center, than create a new resource by clicking on "new" in the ribbon.

In this interface, you'll be able to create a new resource (cost, work or material, generic or budget).

Unselecting (it should be uncheck by default) the checkbox "Resource can logon to Project Server" (my PS2013 is in french but it should be more or less the translation), the resource will not be associated to a valid account, thus it will not be a user but only a resource.

See my screenshot (unfortunately in french):

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Monday, March 3, 2014 4:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Frobison,

You can go to the resource center, than create a new resource by clicking on "new" in the ribbon.

In this interface, you'll be able to create a new resource (cost, work or material, generic or budget).

Unselecting (it should be uncheck by default) the checkbox "Resource can logon to Project Server" (my PS2013 is in french but it should be more or less the translation), the resource will not be associated to a valid account, thus it will not be a user but only a resource.

See my screenshot (unfortunately in french):

Hope this helps.

Monday, March 3, 2014 4:39 PM
  • Merci. However I set up users that way (by default it is not checked), yet when I type that resource name in the Assigned To box next to a task, the name just disappears. Am I missing another step?
    Monday, March 3, 2014 4:46 PM
  • Reading "I type that resource name in the Assigned To box next to a task", I think you don't have the right process for assigning a resource to a task. You have first to create your project team from the enterprise resource pool (assuming that your enterprise resources are correctly defined), then you'll choose for each task the resource(s) you want to assign on the task from the project team you just built.

From the project center, select your project and navigate to the schedule page. Then ensure to edit the project plan in order to be able to modify it. Click on build team in the "project" tab of the ribbon.

In the "build team" interface, just select the resource you want to include in the project team and add them to the right part. Do not forget to save and close once done.

Finally for each task, click in the resource field and choose from the pickup list the resource(s) you want to assign to the task.

Do not forget to save and publish the project plan not to loose your edits.

Hope this helps.

Monday, March 3, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Below is a screen shot - I set up the same resources as generic as well as not (and can't figure out how to delete either), but I can't add any of them to a task.

Ok - it won't let me enter a screen shot...  but I see something like this:

Resource Name ID Checked Out Email Address Generic Timesheet Man   Default Assignment

Dev 8 No <blank> No Dev Dev

Dev 9 No <blank> Yes <blank> <blank>

And when I edit a task list I and try to assign a resource I either get "No exact match found" or "No results found"

Monday, March 3, 2014 4:58 PM
  • FRobison,

Are you trying to assign a resource to a project task or to a task list? This is quite different actually, since you cannot affect a resource to a task list, it has to be a user with a valid account.

For your information, to delete items, go to server settings, delete enterprise objects and select resources and users checkbox.

Hope this helps.

Monday, March 3, 2014 5:08 PM
  • Ahhh - I got it now.

Next question - can I assign two resources to a task and determine myself how to split their hours?

Monday, March 3, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Yes you can assign 2 resources on a task, but in PWA (web scheduling interface), you'll have limited functionalities for editing assignments. Try to go to the "assignments...." views that will display one row for each assignment (and not each task) to see if it fits your need. In those views, you'll be able to edit for example the work or the start and finish dates of each assignments (meaning each resource assigned on a task).

To fine tune assignments, you'll need to use Ms Project Pro 2013 (either installed on your machine) or the "click-to-run" version on Project Online.

Hope this helps.

(Note that if my reply answered your first question, mark it as an answer so we can close the thread. Eventuellay if you have more question, post a new thread.)

Monday, March 3, 2014 5:19 PM