none
Windows Update Failure "reverting changes" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Right so for the past few months I've been having issues with windows updates failing on my home PC--it's gotten to the point where it's become quite a concern.. 44 updates behind, and as a cellphone tech support myself I know what being 'behind' can do to a device.  SO.. these are the steps I've taken:

Standard Reboot (no good)

Utilizing Microsoft's FixIt software for both Windows Update and BITS, reboot (no good)

System Restore, Reboot (no good)

Clean Boot, uninstalled antivirus/malware and a host of other old applications, Reboot (no good)

Clean Boot, removing all peripherals, reboot (no good)

Manual installation for a handful of the missing updates (no good)

After all my troubleshooting I've come to look over the Event Logs to find that all security updates end with error 0x800F0922, and all other updates fail with error code 0x80246013.  Upon reviewing several support pages here on Microsoft I've just been drawing a blank.. the security updates aren't allowing me to complete all other updates due to the fact they require the system to be UP TO DATE.  I did find one article that stated I should look into removing VPN clients (which I don't have any to my knowledge, couldn't find them anyway) and increasing my System Reserved partition (which seems pointless in my opinion).  Just not sure what they're on about.. and I did spend about 3 hours with chat support from Microsoft regarding my issues, however that wasn't fruitful at all, I ended up abandoning the chat to get my other errands done.

I am currently in the process of attempting 'DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorhealth' in CMD and have yet to reach any errors, which hasn't entirely completed, but I haven't gotten to attempt the updates just yet.  With hope this will fix the problem--however, if I do manage to go down this road and find yet another dead end, would anyone have any further advice or options..?  I am using a custom built machine on windows 8 pro (Version 6.2.9200 Build 9200) and DO NOT have a recovery/installation disc to utilize, this version of Windows was free from my school while I attended college and every time I've tried to use the disc for repairs, it never goes in my favor.

Any responses would be much appreciated!

--Doc

Friday, September 18, 2015 7:52 PM

Answers

• It looks like you have tried all of the usual remedies for this problem but I an article that may resolve this issue. Take a look at Windows 8.1 update failing to configure, revert back changes and read the Solution paragraph.

I hope that this will resolve your problem too.

Bruce Wooding Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Saturday, September 19, 2015 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

After reading your state, it seems you have tried all the common troubleshoot ways. I would like to confirm some questions with you. Have you ever installed the updates successfully since you install the Windows? When you perform system restore, do you choose the restore point before the issue occurred?

If you tried all the steps failed, I infer it may be the problem with the iso image which you use to install the Windows. I suggest you choose another system image to perform an upgrade install. If you do not have a media to create, you can just click the iso image which you download to perform upgrade install.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

In addition to that, you can check your WindowsUpdate.log to analyze the issue before you perform upgrade install. Also, you can send the log to us and we will help you to troubleshoot the issue. The log is under the path c:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 2:09 AM

All replies

• It looks like you have tried all of the usual remedies for this problem but I an article that may resolve this issue. Take a look at Windows 8.1 update failing to configure, revert back changes and read the Solution paragraph.

I hope that this will resolve your problem too.

Bruce Wooding Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro Windows for IT Pros on TechNet

Saturday, September 19, 2015 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

After reading your state, it seems you have tried all the common troubleshoot ways. I would like to confirm some questions with you. Have you ever installed the updates successfully since you install the Windows? When you perform system restore, do you choose the restore point before the issue occurred?

If you tried all the steps failed, I infer it may be the problem with the iso image which you use to install the Windows. I suggest you choose another system image to perform an upgrade install. If you do not have a media to create, you can just click the iso image which you download to perform upgrade install.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

In addition to that, you can check your WindowsUpdate.log to analyze the issue before you perform upgrade install. Also, you can send the log to us and we will help you to troubleshoot the issue. The log is under the path c:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

Wish you will troubleshoot the issue smoothly.

Best Regards

Simon  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 2:09 AM