Windows 7 Home Premium - svchost.exe SYSTEM Using a lot of memory RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been noticing a gradual increase in memory usage by both explorer.exe and various svchost.exe's. I'm not sure if this is considered "memory leak" or a form of virus. I have scanned my entire hard drive for viruses, trojan's, etc and I have kept my windows defender up-to-date. I have been gaming for a while and it was just recently that I received messages from the application that the system has ran out of memory or something along those lines. There have been a few instances where my laptop would just automatically shutdown during my games and even when I'm just doing a word document.

Any ideas/ help?

• Changed type Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:11 PM Question
    • Changed type Niki Han Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:30 AM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 10:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I notice you are using Windows 7 64-bit. How many memory is there on Windows 7?

I suggest using Process Explorer to monitor the svchost.exe.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

All svchost.exe should be run under wininit.exe\services.exe. In there, you can see which program is related to svchost.exe.

Meanwhile, you can refer to the following article to improve the performance

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Optimize-Windows-7-for-better-performance

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Niki Han Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:37 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:36 AM
  • There is just slightly less than 3Gb of ram. The hard drive is 320 Gb.

I've checked the sources of all of the svchost.exe's and they're all under: Computer/Acer/Windows/System32

I did a factory reset of my laptop yesterday and the problem still persists. So theoretically, the problem would not be a virus and it can't be a software issue. Would I be correct? Another thing I noticed is that when I have my battery plugged into the laptop, the quick sudden shutdown would occur much sooner than when I only use the a/c.

-Kevin Li

K.L
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:09 PM
  • I think Superfetch normally does that.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:34 PM
  • I've bought a new laptop to skip the trouble of finding the source and dealing with the problem. Thanks for the help though!
    K.L
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:10 AM
  • I know I'm reviving an old thread but......

I was givin' an old laptop that had this same issue

I found that the Windows Update Service was the culprit of the svchost.exe memory hog.

I disabled the service and the bogging down has ceased.

Saturday, September 5, 2015 11:57 AM