Windows with half made programs RRS feed

• General discussion

• Why can't Microsoft just give us a "clean" OS without as i call it half made programs like WMP who is not abel to play fils like OGG and FLAC or not abel to burn audio fils like that without searching the web for codecs.
    My point is why can't we just get a simple working OS and deside for us self what cind of program we will use for playing,burning files?
    It's waste of harddrive space to have these unuseful programs when i have to supplying with example Ashampoo Burning Studio (burns all formats) and example Winamp (Plays almost all audio formats)
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:30 PM

All replies

• while not all included programs are optional, many are... what's wrong w/ MS including BASIC applications that allow novice users to do BASIC things.  There are countless burning applications & media players (I happen to love winamp!), but some don't know how to find these applications or configure them...

hence your "half made" programs.  I'd argue that MS isn't really in the media-player business... why should they choose either to include nothing vs. a full-blown, do-everything media application?

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:42 PM
  • You are aware that it's not just Windows Media Player that is not capable of running a FLAC file right? It's a fairly new and out there format i had figured.

...that said,codecs are your friend,as far as i can see there are two available codecs to make FLAC play on windows media player

CoreFLAC as a specific Flac codec
    and Illiminable's DirectShow filters which appear to be a package,from what little reading i did these are better for the coreFLAC codec but it's difficult to install ONLY the FLAC codec
    MadFLAC is another flac specific codec,seems to work but most flac codecs for windows media player are still being worked on

Lastly i am not quite sure what to say as to the .ogg,i currently have the community codec package which i think gives WMP support for .ogg amongst other things...the package comes with so many codecs i can't really say whats working on one or not.The only format i don't have support for atm seems to be .flac for that matter...

...i should also mention you need a plugin for Winamp,so as previously said,it's not common place for media players to support all file types,and WMP isn't half a program for it
    • Edited by Anon2057 Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:32 PM fixed a typo
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:24 PM
  • My dream is Microsoft can give me as an buyer a Basic Vista and let me deside what kind of programs i choose to use.

They are kind of doing that with Windows 7 E, but still it is a lot of programs i never going to use, like Media Center, DVD Maker , Meeting Place and so forth.
    And with vista and WMP 11 i had to find codec on the web so i could watch DIVX-DVD and more searcihg for codecs so i could play my .FLACK and OGG files.

Or at least give me the opportunity to install/remove programs when installing Windows, i think it would be great if i could buy the Windows 7 Starter and add the software i would choose.
    And like you said they are not in the media-player business, so why can't Microsoft let the "experts" make fully featured application?
    I am a minimalism and like to have my computer as "clean" as possible with the amount of programs as little as possible.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Yes, i just used the player for an example.
    And codec for Windows did i find here: http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html 
    But if Microsoft could give me a basic/starter edition of there's OS so i could download the burning, playing programs of my choice.
    So i did not have the need for searching the web for all kinds of codecs.
    But for now it is only possible to remove Windows programs with VLITE, but then the automatic update service will no longer work after removing things from Windows Vista.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Yes, i just used the player for an example.
    And codec for Windows did i find here: http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html  
    But if Microsoft could give me a basic/starter edition of there's OS so i could download the burning, playing programs of my choice.
    So i did not have the need for searching the web for all kinds of codecs.
    But for now it is only possible to remove Windows programs with VLITE, but then the automatic update service will no longer work after removing things from Windows Vista.

I think the problem might be a business one - that a basic edition would be either significantly less then the others to the point they would lose money...or the license itself would be the bulk of the cost,making it not a cheap alternative and making many people feel gipped.

I believe most people are the very opposite,they want the OS to work out of the box...don't you think most people would be mad if they opened up an mp3 on their OS for the first time,and the OS DIDN'T recognize it? And quite frankly,every...EVERY OS...even linux,comes with a media player,a video player,and programs like that.

An OS is just expected to be able to handle media to most people (and quite frankly,i expect my OS to be able to handle the minimum on it's own as well).So i don't see why we should leave the basics to the experts.

Also it's not as if Microsoft fails at software development.I use winamp for music however i strongly prefer Windows Media player for video due to a much better full screen interface while still being very lightweight,and the new add/remove programs does include WMP and IE if i recall correctly.To add microsoft hasn't exactly prevented the installation of third party codecs...most of the microsoft apps have software that can add functionality to them,some made by these "experts" you speak of.

I can see why you might want to have a more basic version,but the OS is meant to work out of the box...so i believe they want to avoid as many "extra options" as possible while installing.
    • Edited by Anon2057 Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:55 AM added more info
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:52 AM
  • Microsoft have sold more than 33 millions copies of Vista and the majority of these buyers is pleased by the out of box version, how manny percentage of these customers would prefer to have the ability to choose INSTAL NOW or ADAPT/EDIT  button i don't know not few i guess, and maybe more people would stick too Microsoft's OS?

I have to admit that i like Windows XP/VISTA and Windows 7 is just fantastic both appearance and functionality.
    And yes in Windows 7 you can REMOVE/ADD application but they will still be on the computer and can not be deleted from the harddrive, so Microsoft is so close to give us the opportunity to be in full controll of which program we will have installed.

Like Microsoft Office you can thoose how features you will install.

I can use my self as an example, my laptop came with Windows Vista Home Edition and with this edition the Media Center was installed so i have downgrade to Home Basic, but i miss the AERO effects.

When Windows 7 is released i will try to buy the starter version if it is also an E version of the starter even better.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:27 PM