workgroup PC cant sign in to SfB on prem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a hybrid O365 environment with SfB on prem. We are rolling out Microsoft Teams Rooms in some meeting rooms with Crestron UC Flex (basically an intel NUC with Skype and Teams installed). The NUCs are NOT domain joined so reside in a workgroup, we have done the correct account provisioning steps as per MS guidelines and it Teams works fine on the devices but it cannot sign into Skype on prem. A few tasks we have completed to troubleshoot - 

1. Plugged a domain joined laptop into the same port and SfB signs in fine using that room account

2. Added the CA Root Cert and Chain cert on the workgroup NUC

3. Can resolve the SfB server and lyncdiscover to the internal address

4. Connected the NUC to a 4G dongle so it's on an external network and it connects to Sfb fine

Does anybody have any ideas of the next steps I can try?

Thanks

Friday, July 31, 2020 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Gilbert44!

Does this issue persist all the time?

Are there any error messages when you login in Skype for Business?

Are these users have added in the domain?

If your environment is in hybrid mode, please make sure all Skype for Business external DNS records should point to the on-premise infrastructure. For more detail about DNS records in hybrid environment, you can refer to:

https://blog.insideo365.com/2016/08/dns-records-in-a-skype-for-business-hybrid-deployment/

Besides, to narrow down this issue, we also recommend you try to use the Lync Analyzer(Link: https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/tests/o365) to see if there are any error messages in it.

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.
    Friday, July 31, 2020 9:32 AM
  • Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your response. It turned out to be a certificate issue, as soon as I loaded the root CA certificate in in the "immediate certification authorities" folder it worked, I thought that cert only needed to be in the "trusted root certification authorities" folder. 

Thanks for your help.

Gilbo

Monday, August 3, 2020 1:28 PM
  • Hi!

I am glad to hear you have resolved this issue.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post. This will make answer searching in the forum easier.

<Symptom issue>:

We have a hybrid O365 environment with SfB on prem. We are rolling out Microsoft Teams Rooms in some meeting rooms with Crestron UC Flex (basically an intel NUC with Skype and Teams installed). The NUCs are NOT domain joined so reside in a workgroup, we have done the correct account provisioning steps as per MS guidelines and it Teams works fine on the devices but it cannot sign into Skype on prem.

<Solution>:

It is a certificate issue. As soon as loading the root CA Certificate in the “immediate certification authorities” folder it worked.

<Reference Link>:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skype-sdk/sdn/articles/installing-the-trusted-root-certificate

This  Skype for Business Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Jimmy Yang

Skype for Business forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 9:42 AM