Exchange 2007 to 2013 - Public Folder Migration Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm having a issue starting our Exchange 2007 to 2013 public folder migration.  All Mailboxes are migrated onto 2013.

One of the first steps for the migration is to run this command "Get-PublicFolder" however when I run this on your 2007 server I get the following error 

Get-PublicFolder : There is no existing PublicFolder that matches the following
     Identity: '\'. Please make sure that you specified the correct PublicFolder Id
    entity and that you have the necessary permissions to view PublicFolder.
    At line:1 char:17
    + Get-PublicFolder <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Get-PublicFolder], Mapi
       OperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 9B104D99,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.MapiTasks
       .GetPublicFolder

Also when I open the Public Folder Console in 2007 it is completely blank.  Public Folders are still accessible via outlook and PFDAVAdmin and seem to be working fine.  

I've check some of the ADSI values for the PF and everything looks ok.  

Is there something else I can try?

Thanks,

Daniel

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

The event 1021 you described can be seen when one user does not have the appropriate permissions to do so. If the above permission I described you have assigned, please check if you add Administrative Permissions for Users to Access Public Folders.

What's more, here is a thread for your reference.

Add Administrative Permissions for Users to Access Public Folders

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996369(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 18, 2013 2:30 AM

All replies

• BTW running "Get-PublicFolderStatistics" returns all of the folders. 
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:12 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Have you followed the correct steps for public folder migration from exchange 2007 to exchange 2013, Check the following for migration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150486%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

Part 1  and Part 2

Get-PublicFolderStatistics cmdlet is used to retrieve statistical information about public folders, such as folder size and last logon time. Check the cmdlet regarding Public Folder.

And what exactly are you looking for so that I can help you regarding that

Vote as a Helpful Post if it helps.

Cheers.

Naren Neelam, Messaging Consultant, ITBigBang (P) Ltd Www.ITBigBang.Com | Hire Us for Messaging Consulting

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:39 PM
  • Hi Naren, 

Thanks for your post.  I havn't started the migration yet as I'm having a problem with the very first step. 

Step 2: Prepare for the migration

Get-PublicFolder -Recurse | Export-CliXML C:\PFMigration\Legacy_PFStructure.xml

This command fails so I have not went any further.  

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:57 PM
  • I've increased all of the EventLogging on the 2007 box to high and I'm getting to some extra errors in event viewer.  

This is the first one

Process powershell.exe (EMS) (PID=8768). An LDAP search result to Directory Server DC.Domain.tv exceeded the administrative size limit. Only the first 1 entries were returned successfully by the search request. The search that failed has the following characteristics: Base DN=CN=Configuration,DC=Domain,DC=tv, Filter=(&(objectCategory=msExchPrivateMDB)(!(&(msExchVersion>=1125899906842624)(msExchVersion=*)))), Scope=2.  If this message persists, you should use ntdsutil to increase the maximum page size on the Domain Controllers by increasing the value of the MaxPageSize LDAP policy.  

This is the second

Domain/Administrator was unable to connect as /o=First Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=Exchange2013/cn=Microsoft System Attendant. Error 0x3eb. 

• Edited by Dan_Robinson Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:03 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Hi Dan,

From your description, I would like to verify the following things:

1. You are moving the Public Folder from Exchange Server 2007 SP3 RU10 or later to Exchange 2013 CU1. If not, some issues will occur.

2. In Exchange 2013, you must be a member of the Organization Management role group.

3. In Exchange 2007, you need to be assigned the Exchange Organization Administrator role or the Exchange Server Administrator role. In addition, you must be assigned the Public Folder Administrator role and local Administrators group for the target server.

What's more, please follow the above thread Naren provided to finish the migration.

Hope my clarification is helpful.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang

Friday, November 15, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Hi Amy,

Thanks for the reply.  

1# - Yes we are attempting to migrate PF from 2007 SP3 RU11 to 2013 CU2.

2# - I've tried running the command as Exchange Admin and a Domain Admin.

3# - Again I'm running the command as a Exchange and Domain Admin.

I've managed to reproduce the problem in our lab environment.  First I moved all of the user mailbox's to Exchange 2013.  After this I can still see all of the public folders in PFMC.

Next I removed all of the user databases and storage groups from the 2007 exchange server.  Leaving only the PF storage group.  At this point I can no longer see the public folders in PFMC or by running "Get-PublicFolder".

I think I should not have removed these databases at this time.  I have created a new storage group and mailbox database on the 2007 server in a hope to point the 2007 system attendant to the mailbox database without any luck.  I still can't view PF in PFMC but I can see the folders in outlook and in PFDAVAdmin.
    Friday, November 15, 2013 10:55 AM
  • I'm pretty convinced this error message is the root of my problem

Error 1021, MSExchangeIS 

Domain/ExchangeAdmin was unable to connect as /o=First Organization/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=Exchange2013/cn=Microsoft System Attendant. Error 0x3eb. 

I get this when I run the command "Get-PublicFolder"

Friday, November 15, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Hi Dan,

The event 1021 you described can be seen when one user does not have the appropriate permissions to do so. If the above permission I described you have assigned, please check if you add Administrative Permissions for Users to Access Public Folders.

What's more, here is a thread for your reference.

Add Administrative Permissions for Users to Access Public Folders

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996369(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Amy

Amy Wang

Monday, November 18, 2013 2:30 AM
  • i have exactly the same problem. Did you ever resolve it?
    if so, How?

Friday, March 18, 2016 10:58 AM
  • I finally solved this at our environment after 3 days of troubleshooting.

The event 1021 pointed me in the right direction.

/o=ExchangeOrgName/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=Exchange2013mbxServerName/cn=Microsoft System Attendant

I went to that location i ADSI Edit > RightClick "cn=Microsoft System Attendant" > Properties > homeMDB

The homeMDB attribute was <not set>. i filled in the DN of one of my remaining 2007 mailbox databases(Not PublicFolder database!).
    Example: "CN=DatabaseName,CN=StorageGroupName,CN=InformationStore,CN=Exchange2007mbxServerName,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=ExchangeOrgName,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=MyDomain,DC=com"

I think it is a little counterintuitive to point a Exchange 2013 server`s System Attendant to a 2007 mailbox database, but hey, it worked :)
    now the Get-PublicFolder runs fine and the "Public Folder Management Console" now shows all my public folders.

i was also getting a error message when trying to "Update Hierarchy" from the "Public Folder Management Console", Before fixing the HomeMDB attribute.
    i'll leave error below for google :)

Cannot start hierarchy replication on public folder database 'Exchange2007ServerName\StorageGroup\PublicFolderDBname'.
    MapiExceptionNoReplicaAvailable: StartHierachyReplication failed. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1129)
    Diagnostic context:
        Lid: 1494    ---- Remote Context Beg ----
        Lid: 31229   Error: 0x0
        Lid: 9206    StoreEc: 0xFFFFF9BF
        Lid: 19865   StoreEc: 0x469     
        Lid: 27225   StoreEc: 0x469     
        Lid: 1750    ---- Remote Context End ----
        Lid: 26322   StoreEc: 0x469
    Friday, March 18, 2016 1:40 PM