none
Hyper-V Host, with SQL Server 2012, Boot Failed

Question

• I have a hypervisor (Hyper-V 2012).  When I go to add a new VM from here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29066

which is the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Evaluation.

When I create a new VM, and make it a Generation 2, then start it, I get this error:

Here's what I've tried.

1. Pressing a key to retry the boot sequence... (same results)

2. Retrying as Generation 1 (gave me an error which meant it wanted to be Gen 2)

3. Downloaded the ISO again to make sure there were no issues with that, and rebuilding.

4. Unchecking Secure Boot in the Hyper-V Bios settings.

5. Several places said to hold down any key during boot, and before boot, and that didn't do anything.

6. Used restroom, to see if a solution came to me.  It didn't.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:57 PM

All replies

• I think the bits you downloaded are for SQL only. Meant to have an operating system with which to install the SQL Server. You can get various server evaluations here, then install SQL on that.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/try

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:13 PM
  • What a silly mistake, thanks!

However, it turns out that I'm having that issue from the SQL Server 2016 with SP1 image that I downloaded from the link you provided.  It said it was a 180 day trial of SQL Server 2016 with SP1, so I would think it would be the actual OS.  I'm going to try and download just the standard Server 2016 from that page, but I can't imagine why the SQL one wouldn't work.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:33 PM
  • Sorry, no the operating systems and SQL are separate downloads. Download an OS, install it, then mount the SQL ISO and install that.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 10:38 PM