media player RRS feed

• Question

• When I look at my albums in the media player library there are a number of albums which:

1)  have split into two or more album covers:  when reviewed they may have only a couple of the songs in each one, all in one, and just a couple of songs in the other, etc..  Some have no song number on them. 

2)  some albums have only one album cover, but there is only one, two three, four songs in them. 

3)  Some albums have dublicated all the songs.  So you have the same song twice # 1 and #1 and then the number two song twice etc. 

3)  some albums are fine, everything is there. 

Some additional information:

-  Windows 7

-  got a data base of existing recordings when I purchased my old computer;  but it isn't just the old stuff that is messed up.

-  All of the music that I have added (500 cd's) all came from cd's.  It is clear that the missing data isn't just old data, or a single session of ripping data from CD. 

-  I have no idea how long this problem has been going on however we did migrate all my data over to the new computer about 4 months ago. 

I called Microsoft, and paid the $59 to have them help.  We did something to the library, and it took several hours but I still have the same problem.  I had to turn off the "auto update" as it just kept going and going (2 days) and never seemed to finish.  My hope is that someone else has some ideas so that when I get back online with microsoft on Monday I will be able to help them along. 

Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:14 AM

Answers

• What's the file type (or types) of your music files (MP3, WMA, WAV...)?

Let's first try to get rid of the duplicates by resetting the media library. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Go to Start, type services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
    - Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
    - Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the duplicates are gone.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    • Edited by Tim De Baets Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:03 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, December 12, 2011 6:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:49 AM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:48 PM

All replies

• What's the file type (or types) of your music files (MP3, WMA, WAV...)?

Let's first try to get rid of the duplicates by resetting the media library. First note that resetting the library will make you lose all current play counts, and possibly ratings too. Then, follow these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Go to Start, type services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
    - Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
    - Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt. Check if the duplicates are gone.

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    • Edited by Tim De Baets Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:03 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, December 12, 2011 6:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:49 AM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Most of the file types are MP3, and all of the data in the last 3 yrs are MP3.  This is the data that has the errors in it. 
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:26 PM