none
Change email address on OneDrive account

Question

• I originally setup my onedrive account with my company email address. Since this is really a personal OneDrive account I want to change the email address associated with it. How can I change it without losing the content online or having to re-upload it? Also I need to remove any references to my company email account from the microsoft system so I don't have conflicts when my company moves to Office 365. 

Thanks,

Patrick

Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• PL

Unfortunately Onedrive is tied to the email address and it cannot be changed, merged, etc

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:43 AM
  • This is rather bogus, as the email address on file was one from when enrolled in a graduate program at Texas A&M Kingsville. I'm unsure just how that address managed to get tied to OneDrive, as the only thing for which the address was used was to register for classes---which did not require the use of OD.

Do fix this and soon. This is the 21st century and Microsoft, after all.

Friday, January 29, 2016 9:47 PM
  • I agree, this is bad practice, I have several pdfs viewable by public, I have changed my emails but cant change in my account. !
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:48 PM
  • I completely agree.  I had a personal onedrive account and a business onedrive account.  (skydrive, onedrive, onedrive for business, etc....the constant name changes are a joke within and of themselves.)  Then Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided to merge the two.  I am now no longer working for that company.  What a conflict! 

Not sure how my former company will use my old email address account (which is generic to the position I worked in and will be used for the next person in my position).  If they do, I guess that person will have access to all of my personal files and photos, etc.  What a joke!

They should be able to separate the two (at least give folks with this conflict the option!).  They need to find a way to allow users to disassociate one email address or another.  It's called separation of work and personal life!  MS MORONS!   

Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:42 AM
  • Still?  As of May 24, 2016 Nobody can change their user name?  I have TWO accounts, I simply want to swap one for the other... is there no method?
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:26 PM
  • I have the same problem.  I had two Hotmail accounts prior to enrolling in the OneDrive for Business Online.  I purchased my own domain and created my email from my domain to link to my OneDrive for Business Online as my primary address.

Then I linked my other accounts as alias's (Hotmail and Gmail) to my primary email address in my OneDrive for Business Online. 

I started having problems logging into my OneDrive for Business after about 4 months of purchasing the subscription 3 years ago.  Tech support changed my email address from OneDrive for Business to their default setting email ending in .onmicrosoft.com.   HUGE MISTAKE! 

Now my Hotmail is not linked at all to my personal OneDrive but is the same as my OneDrive for Business email address.  For some reason my Hotmail account is showing my subscriptions for my businesses ending my OneDrive for Business and all of my purchases to upgrade from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 pro. 

Now I am stuck with paying for two Hotmail addresses on a yearly bases and I can't delete the emails because they have linked them to my business account.

This has cost me so much of my time trying to simplify my emails yet they are as screwed up as they were 2 1/2 years ago.  It is extremely frustrating.  MS needs to figure out how to switch the emails or I will be forced to drop my OneDrive for Business account. 

The emails also affect my log in's to my computers as I use my email address to my OneDrive as my computer log in. This has screwed up all the computers and how they sync with OneDrive for Business and OneDrive Personal. 

Sunday, June 12, 2016 8:36 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I just opened the One Drive for Business a few days ago.  Now our business e-mail address has changed.  My personal One Drive is linked to my computer and I have to go online to connect to the business part.  So far, nobody has given me a solution.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:50 PM
  • No wonder you are getting your butts kicked by Apple! Its 2016 for the love of God! I wanted to set up a new computer but instead will now have to set up a new Microsoft account, because I changed my internet service and my e-mail has changed. This alone will keep me from buying your stock!

Saturday, December 10, 2016 3:03 AM
  • Personally, I'm really rooting for Microsoft to make a comeback and start challenging the Android and IOS BS out there again. I love all of my current windows devices and plan to continue using windows devices in the future. BUT, the ease of use and user friendliness desperately need revamped. In particular, the lack of ability to change the user file name on Windows 10 and the lack of ability to change linked email accounts to services (especially OneDrive) is extremely counterintuitive and contradictory to consumer needs. Your loyal patrons beseech a remedy, Microsoft, PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

Saturday, February 04, 2017 10:44 PM
  • I think it is possible to switch e-mails,  but a but roundabout method. 

I have a Office 365 account tied to a yahoo mail address.  I want to dump the yahoo mail address and use my existing outlook.com address ad my new primary mail and microsoft account.

In addition to the Office 365 subscription,  I have 100 GB on OneDrive tied to that yahoo account (out of 1 TB total).

I called msft support today and got some advice for what I want to do.  Here's the skinny on it and how I plan to approach it.  Not ideal,  but still doable.

1. Create a new user on my PC bound to my existing Outlook.com address.  Make this an admin account.  Add my yahoo mail as an alias to this account (not sure if that will be possible,  but may not be needed)
    2. Use my yahoo account to sign into Office 365 to use the applications from that account.  Continue to use the yahoo account until the yearly renewal date.  At that time,  purchase the subscription from my outlook.com account
    3. As for the 100 GB on OneDrive - I forgot to ask in the phone call on this one.  I will have to look into this one.  One option may be copy the files across on the PC itself.   There may still be a huge upload back to MSFT though.  So will also look to see if OneDrive supports e-mail changing independent of the copre MSFT account.

Yeah,  I whish too there was a better way to migrate between two e-mails that "verify" back to the same person.  I could see that it's a little trickier than one may imagine,  but I do hope MSFT supports this use case more.

Sunday, March 05, 2017 5:58 PM
  • What about this.  Since all your files are on your computer.  

Disconnect onedrive from your computer.  

Online log into your account and create a new family member (your other email account).  You can have 5 accounts.

Install OneDrive on your computer and log in with the new account

Sync to the web.

Will take time, but you will have all your data in the new account.

• Proposed as answer by So so far away Friday, March 31, 2017 11:12 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 11:12 PM
  • This is crazy, surely MS can do better.
    Sunday, April 02, 2017 7:08 AM
  • I can't actually believe I'm being charged for something so primitive.  I'd expect this from a start up who still has to learn about foresight certainly not from MS.

Thursday, May 04, 2017 11:19 AM
  • And two years later, Microsoft still finds it acceptable that this is the case? After enjoying the ease of an iPhone, I gave up my PC for an iPad Pro. It's all soooo much simpler. It seems to be time to give Excel and Word, as well.
    Saturday, June 10, 2017 11:33 PM
  • I originally setup my onedrive account with my company email address. Since this is really a personal OneDrive account I want to change the email address associated with it. How can I change it without losing the content online or having to re-upload it? Also I need to remove any references to my company email account from the microsoft system so I don't have conflicts when my company moves to Office 365. 

Thanks,

Patrick

When I bought this computer I had an orangehome email address. so that is the one that got pinned to this account. Recently EE Have done away with all these email addresses, they gave us plenty of notification so we were able to set up a new email for all my needs and that of others. since the email no longer exists. I cant use onedrive any more.  as someone else quoted WAKE UP it is 2017, and not 1980

surely you can devise a way for everyone to change there details, if not for security reasons, maybe just personal choice. I will be checking to see if anything gets done.

Monday, June 26, 2017 6:30 PM
  • PL

Unfortunately Onedrive is tied to the email address and it cannot be changed, merged, etc

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wow...that is incredibly dumb.  It stinks that Onedrive is easier to access, but I really dislike this feature and now am going to move everything to Google's version...
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:16 AM
  • I have found the solution. You dont change it with OneDrive, you change it with your Microsoft Account.

1) Go to www.Microsoft.com

2) Click on your profile in the upper right corner - or if you are not logged in, log into the account the OneDrive is tied to

3) Click VIEW MICROSOFT ACCOUNT

4) On the top bar, click YOUR INFO

5) Under the email displayed, click MANAGE YOUR SIGN IN EMAIL

6) Go through the process to prove your identity

7) Click ADD EMAIL, then go to your new email to verify

8) Next to the new email added, click MAKE PRIMARY, affirm that this will be you new primary

9) Log into OneDrive, use the new primary email with the original password

10) Done!

• Proposed as answer by MegalaUK Thursday, December 28, 2017 12:05 PM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 10:20 PM
  • THANK YOU. IT DID WORK.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 4:20 AM
  • I have found the solution. You dont change it with OneDrive, you change it with your Microsoft Account.

1) Go to www.Microsoft.com

2) Click on your profile in the upper right corner - or if you are not logged in, log into the account the OneDrive is tied to

3) Click VIEW MICROSOFT ACCOUNT

4) On the top bar, click YOUR INFO

5) Under the email displayed, click MANAGE YOUR SIGN IN EMAIL

6) Go through the process to prove your identity

7) Click ADD EMAIL, then go to your new email to verify

8) Next to the new email added, click MAKE PRIMARY, affirm that this will be you new primary

9) Log into OneDrive, use the new primary email with the original password

10) Done!

Brilliant!  Thanks!
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 12:05 PM
  • Hey everyone, this guy dayuma knows what he's doing.  It worked fabulous.  I can tell he doesn't work for Microsoft because he knew the answer...

Monday, January 29, 2018 5:42 PM
  • In the File Explorer Right Click the One Drive Icon

Select Settings

Click the Account Tab

Select Add an account

Enter Email Address and Password
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 2:41 AM
  • Thanks a lot! Great solution!
    Sunday, April 29, 2018 7:00 AM