none
Task Actual Cost in Timephased Data in Task Usage Correct; Total Actual Cost for Task Incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• I keep having issues in MS Project 2010 Standard where the timephased actual cost and total actual cost for a resource with an hourly rate do not match up (see Resource 2 example below and its 11/21/14 weekly timephased values – the 16h of actual cost is missing from the total).  Has anyone else had this problem?  

It's embarrassing and inefficient to have to review MS Project's calculations to this level of detail.  

Task Name Actual Cost Work Duration Start Finish   11/14/2014  11/21/2014
    Testing $8,990.18 96.5 hrs 6 days Mon 11/17/14 Mon 11/24/14 Act Work 60.5h 36h
    Act Cost $6,493.78 $4,114.16
    Resource 1 $1,885.38 12.5 hrs   Mon 11/17/14 Mon 11/24/14 Act Work 4.5h 8h
    Act Cost $678.74 $1,206.64
    Resource 2 $3,235.52 48 hrs   Mon 11/17/14 Mon 11/24/14 Act Work 32h 16h
    Act Cost $3,235.52 $1,617.76
    Resource 3 $3,869.28 36 hrs   Mon 11/17/14 Mon 11/24/14 Act Work 24h 12h
    Act Cost $2,579.52 $1,289.76

Michelle

Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:28 AM

Answers

• Hi John and Guillaume,

Thank you both for your interest in this issue.  

Let me try to clear some things up, as my December 17, 2014 3:42 PM post stated, I fixed the file by importing it into another file.  This was prior to Guillaume's suggestion to use an xml export to fix the file and his asking me to try to reproduce the bug.

1) My purpose in posting this was not to get help fixing the file, as I have several tried and true methods for doing so.  My interest was in seeing if it was a known bug (there is no open bug list for MSP 2010) or at minimum, if anyone else was experiencing the same problem.  Ultimately, I'd like to prevent this from happening again in the future.  I have an option to report a bug directly with MS that I am pursuing.  

2) I assumed Guillaume asked me to try to reproduce the issue in an attempt to determine its root cause.  I am unable to reproduce the issue because the bug itself has a logic flaw.  How can the actual work total include the 16 hours but the actual cost total omits the 16 hours?  I’d think the software would have to omit the 16 hours of actual work from the total in order to come up with an actual cost that also excludes it.  If that were the case, I could add those 16 hours back in to see of both totals then included it, but that’s not the case.

3) The detailed procedure for how I imported the file was to do an insert subproject into a brand new clean file and uncheck the link back to file box, thus creating a new copy of the file.  This calculated out correctly without any further manipulation from me.  Prior to fixing it, I did update the software and open the file again to check if the software update fixed the problem, which it did not.  This insert subproject procedure is also how I check to make sure this issue is not happening in any of my files before I publish them (it is quicker than putting all of the assignment data into Excel to double-check Project’s calculations).

4) This issue has happened multiple times with various builds of the software, so updating to one build vs. another would likely not fix it, unless it was an issue specifically fixed in the build.

Hopefully this post is now sufficient for other people to work from in the event they also run into this issue.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Michelle

Michelle

• Marked as answer by Mouchoux Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:12 PM
    • Edited by Mouchoux Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:13 PM fixed strange formatting from MS Word
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi Michelle,

First of all, you should ensure to upgrade to the latest upgrade of Project 2010. This might be a bug which has already been corrected by the SP2.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:54 PM
  • Thanks Guillaume.  I already had SP2 installed.  I updated to the latest CU and that didn't help either.  I ended up manually fixing it by importing it into another file.

Michelle

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Can you reproduce this bug on another file?

If you can reproduce the bug with a blank new file, then MS Project application might be corrupted. I'd suggest to run a repair from the control panel or even reinstall it.

If you cannot reproduce the bug, then the file might be corrupted. In this case, try the XML export method (although it might not work).

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Thanks for trying Guillaume.  

I honestly couldn't reproduce this if I tried as it makes no sense.

Michelle

Friday, December 19, 2014 11:57 PM
  • Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your feedback! Please mark any reply as an answer so we can close the thread. We'll eventually repoen it in case you can reproduce the issue.

Hope this helps,

Saturday, December 20, 2014 2:14 AM
  • Michelle,

Wait, I'm confused. In your original post, you show an example of the issue, which I assume was copied from an actual Project file. So whats to reproduce? Does that file still have the issue? If not, what did you do to eliminate it? If you used the XML export/re-import process to fix the issue, then the problem was due to a corrupt file and there is really no way to explain why your file became corrupt without delving into a lot of detail about your file structure and what you did with that file over a period of time.

Also, if you used the XML method to clear corruption then Guillaume should get the credit for the answer, but if that did not solve the problem and it simply went away by itself, then I'd just leave this thread open as un-answered. My opinion.

John

Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Hi John and Guillaume,

Thank you both for your interest in this issue.  

Let me try to clear some things up, as my December 17, 2014 3:42 PM post stated, I fixed the file by importing it into another file.  This was prior to Guillaume's suggestion to use an xml export to fix the file and his asking me to try to reproduce the bug.

1) My purpose in posting this was not to get help fixing the file, as I have several tried and true methods for doing so.  My interest was in seeing if it was a known bug (there is no open bug list for MSP 2010) or at minimum, if anyone else was experiencing the same problem.  Ultimately, I'd like to prevent this from happening again in the future.  I have an option to report a bug directly with MS that I am pursuing.  

2) I assumed Guillaume asked me to try to reproduce the issue in an attempt to determine its root cause.  I am unable to reproduce the issue because the bug itself has a logic flaw.  How can the actual work total include the 16 hours but the actual cost total omits the 16 hours?  I’d think the software would have to omit the 16 hours of actual work from the total in order to come up with an actual cost that also excludes it.  If that were the case, I could add those 16 hours back in to see of both totals then included it, but that’s not the case.

3) The detailed procedure for how I imported the file was to do an insert subproject into a brand new clean file and uncheck the link back to file box, thus creating a new copy of the file.  This calculated out correctly without any further manipulation from me.  Prior to fixing it, I did update the software and open the file again to check if the software update fixed the problem, which it did not.  This insert subproject procedure is also how I check to make sure this issue is not happening in any of my files before I publish them (it is quicker than putting all of the assignment data into Excel to double-check Project’s calculations).

4) This issue has happened multiple times with various builds of the software, so updating to one build vs. another would likely not fix it, unless it was an issue specifically fixed in the build.

Hopefully this post is now sufficient for other people to work from in the event they also run into this issue.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Michelle

Michelle

• Marked as answer by Mouchoux Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:12 PM
    • Edited by Mouchoux Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:13 PM fixed strange formatting from MS Word
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:11 PM