none
Actvities before the Project Start Date RRS feed

• Question

• Every now & then, we will get an activity which is a precursor to a project kicking off as a project start date so in theory from that start date would be known as either week 1 or Month 1.

So in this case, any actvivity starting a month for example before the kick off date should be shown in "- Month 1" but in Project 2013, it takes this new date as Month 1 even when the Project Start Date has not changed.

The earlier versions of Project, you could manipulate this so what's changed?...Is there a way around this?

I am not using Project server as will never use it to save myself from grief & stress!...prefer to keep it simple!

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:00 AM

All replies

• I couldn't test it with 2013 but with 2010 the week numbering starts at the project start date, so you can have a project start date on a certain date which will be your week1, and then set predecessors with no impact on the numbering.

If you confirm that this behavior jas changed with 2013 version, an option could be to enter as manually scheduled tasks with no dates the tasks prior to the project start date, using custom fields to enter the actual dates.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:16 PM
  • In Project 2010 you can achieve this with a manually scheduled tasks, custom fields, and a new bar style.

Add the manually scheduled tasks for the pre-work tasks.  Enter the start and finish dates into spare Start and Finish fields - for example: Start1 and Finish1.  Do not enter durations nor attempt to link these tasks.

Create a custom bar style to show those pre-work tasks.  Right click in the Gantt chart and select Bar Styles from the shortcut menu.  Select the "Tasks" bar and cut and then paste twice.  Edit the second bar style as shown below:

You can then show the bars for those tasks and still have the -Month show as needed.

I was also able to accomplish this is Project 2013 - but it did not appear to work with Start1 and Finish1.  It did work with Start10 and Finish10 however.
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:49 PM