none
Defaulting to read-only opens RRS feed

• Question

• I'm afraid I already know the answer to this, but I wanted to check if anything new has come up.  Is there a way to force Project Pro 2010 to default to opening files read-only on Project Server?  I don't want to lose the option to open them read/write, I just want to be able to default to read-only to reduce the likelihood of introducing problems.

Same song, different verse -- If you open a Project Server file read-only, is there any way to force project to open linked projects read-only as well?

Thanks.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:21 AM

Answers

• linearprism --

The answer is no to both questions.  Nothing new has come up since the last time you asked.  Because of this, I want to stress to you that the issues you describe boil down to training and performance issues with your PMs.  This means that if a PM has permission to open any project Read/Write, that PM must be very careful when opening a project belonging to another PM.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by linearprism Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:28 AM
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:01 AM

All replies

• linearprism --

The answer is no to both questions.  Nothing new has come up since the last time you asked.  Because of this, I want to stress to you that the issues you describe boil down to training and performance issues with your PMs.  This means that if a PM has permission to open any project Read/Write, that PM must be very careful when opening a project belonging to another PM.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by linearprism Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:28 AM
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:01 AM
  • Thanks again for a quick response, Dale.  I was afraid of that.  Seems like a fairly straightforward and simple thing to add to the backstage options.  I don't know why MS didn't add it, especially with how easy it seems to be to foul up a complex project network in Project Server. (Or maybe they have added it in 2013?)

Thanks again!

Sunday, April 21, 2013 1:35 AM