Using MSG via script or VBA? RRS feed

• General discussion

• We use shared Excel 2007 workbooks on our network. All machines are running Vista Enterprise. I remembered NET SEND from previous years (never really used it), so I looked it up and found that Vista uses MSG.

My idea is to somehow access the list of those who have a shared workbook open, and send them a message. I could use a VBScript, or hopefully a VBA macro.

I could use RUN to send myself a message: MSG CONSOLE "HELLO". That works. But I tried sending a message to someone else and it didn't work. I used:
    MSG /SERVER:user.name "HELLO"
    It opened a Command Prompt window on my machine which said:
    Enter message to send; end message by pressing CTRL+Z on a new line, then ENTER.
    I typed the message and sent it, but no go.

Since I've never used this before, I'm sure I've got some basic syntax wrong. If anyone can give me any pointers in using this function, or an alternative method that does not require installing any other applications, I would appreciate the help.

Ed
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Office related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows Vista specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Office forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/officeitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, April 11, 2011 6:38 AM
  • Actually, my basic question is how to use the MSG function of Windows Vista.  The fact that I'm interested in using it because of Excel and wanting to implement using VBA is moot unless I can get help with the syntax of the MGS funtion.

Ed

Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:57 AM