none
Difference between RBS and Resource Department field RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Project Server users,

Can anyone please explain the difference between the RBS and Resource Department Field?

When I am creating a new user I want to give it unique permissions. For example, I want to create a department director and a department worker. I want to enable the director to see all projects inside this department, and allow the worker to only see his projects. I can do this with the RBS field and by setting the category project permissions.

But, I am wondering, what is the use of Resource department field which is available when we are creating a resource. And can this field be used in the same way as RBS? Or is there a user case in which we can combine Resource department field with the RBS Field?

With best regards,
    Petar

Thursday, November 3, 2016 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The department feature (resource or project) is not intented to manage security. This is only to filter configuration (custom fields, EPT, OLAP DB, projects) in case you have multiple entities/departments/services so you can segregate configuration per entities and not pollute all users with specific configuration. This is NOT a security feature. The security should be managed by the RBS/categories/groups.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by PetarB Friday, November 4, 2016 8:35 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 4:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The department feature (resource or project) is not intented to manage security. This is only to filter configuration (custom fields, EPT, OLAP DB, projects) in case you have multiple entities/departments/services so you can segregate configuration per entities and not pollute all users with specific configuration. This is NOT a security feature. The security should be managed by the RBS/categories/groups.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by PetarB Friday, November 4, 2016 8:35 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 4:16 PM
  • Thank you very much Guillaume! 
    Friday, November 4, 2016 8:35 AM