none
ULS error - Could not find HostController Service

Question

• Hi 
     one WFE and 1 SQL with SQL alias

looking through the ULS and see this:  

Could not find HostController Service in server <MAILEXServer>. Skipping the server. Exception : System.ArgumentException: Could not find the ServiceInstance in server <mailexserver>    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchAdminUtils.GetServiceInstancesOnServers[T](IEnumerable`1 servers, String notFoundMessage)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchAdminUtils.GetServiceInstanceOnServer[T](String serverName)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.Topology.SearchTopologyUtils.<>c__DisplayClassb.<CleanupOrphanNodesInSystem>b__4(SPServer farmServer) 

and 

Could not find HostController Service in server SQLALIAS. Skipping the server. Exception : System.ArgumentException: Could not find the ServiceInstance in server SQLALIAS

Search Topology are all healthy - what are SP "doing" ?   

How do I avoid this ULS entry?     

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:00 AM

Answers

• Hi JmATK, 

Does the search working in your farm?

Based on the error message, I recommend to check if the SharePoint Search Host Controller is running in services.msc.

Please go to Administrative Tools in the SharePoint server > Services > SharePoint Search Host Controller, restart the service to see if the issue still occurs.

Go to CA -> System Settings -> Manage Services on Server->Start Search Host Controller Service 

If the issue still occurs, please check the account associated with the SharePoint Search Host Controller to see if the account is a farm account. If it is not a farm account, change it to a farm account.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi JmATK, 

Does the search working in your farm?

Based on the error message, I recommend to check if the SharePoint Search Host Controller is running in services.msc.

Please go to Administrative Tools in the SharePoint server > Services > SharePoint Search Host Controller, restart the service to see if the issue still occurs.

Go to CA -> System Settings -> Manage Services on Server->Start Search Host Controller Service 

If the issue still occurs, please check the account associated with the SharePoint Search Host Controller to see if the account is a farm account. If it is not a farm account, change it to a farm account.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:15 AM
  • It doesn't make sense for Search Host Controller Service to be running on Mail exchange server and SQL Alias/ SQL Servers. The answer though relevant to other SharePoint role servers is not valid for Non SP Servers. Basically, the answer is not relevant as far as I can see.

I think the right answer is that just ignore the errors if it is for Mail and Database servers. But surely there is a better answer/ in-depth techie explano out there. :)

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 1:39 AM