Project 2010 sync with Sharepoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have set up a Sharepoint Test Server in a seperate domain.

Then I imported a project list into MS Project 2010 choosing the right URL and choosing the right list.

Right after importing them I press the Sync Button and receive an error:

"An unknown error has occurred while syncing to a SharePoint site. Ensure the SharePoint Site is running and try again."

Are there any settings in Sharepoint I need to switch.

Whenever I try to write data into the list I receive the error (although I am admin in Sharepoint and can create new sites).

Any idea?

Best wishes

Petze

Friday, October 22, 2010 7:56 PM

Answers

• I'm getting a similar result with a different set of options.  All of my stuff is WITHIN the same domain.

I can "sync" to sharepoint and get the tasks to link to outlook-other folder, however, the edits do not come back into the project.

In other words, once i setup the project and sync to sharepoint, everytthing works (users get alerted, users can access and edit tasks from outlook and those changes are synced across all of of the outlook users) but the project never gets updated again.

• Marked as answer by Mike Glen Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:25 PM

All replies

• What happens if you write to another list?  What happens if you try to write
    with another project?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP]
    Twitter: @alavinsky

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Friday, October 22, 2010 10:28 PM
  • Hi Petze,

This worries me: 'I have set up a Sharepoint Test Server in a seperate domain.'

Have you defined a (two-way) trust between the domains? If not, have you imported the users from your normal domain into the SharePoint? Can you logon to the SharePoint site with your account and update the list from within the other domain?

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Friday, October 22, 2010 10:49 PM
  • Hi HansH.

I have set up the test server inside a VM. This VM runs local on my Workstation and has its own domain.

Within in this domain I have other users defined which I am using to test the system.

MS Projekt logs into this system on startup with the new domain\name and password.

Once opened I can access the sharepoint side and download the list.

But I cannot return the same data to the server.

I can create what ever content I want from the browser and change the list data (thats how they were created in the first place).

The same happens if I create another list, or if I let MS Project create  a list.

Best

Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:29 AM
  • I wonder if it's something with the authentication against the domain....that's
    the only thing which sounds a bit different...For what it's worth, I tried
    running a Project sync against a SharePoint site in another domain, and I
    got the following error:

"An unknown error has occured while syncing to a SharePoint site.  Ensure
    the SharePoint site is running and try again."

My guess is that cross-domain sync'ing is not supported - or it's a bug that
    precludes that.
     Andrew Lavinsky [MVP]
    Twitter: @alavinsky

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 3:35 PM
  • I'm getting a similar result with a different set of options.  All of my stuff is WITHIN the same domain.

I can "sync" to sharepoint and get the tasks to link to outlook-other folder, however, the edits do not come back into the project.

In other words, once i setup the project and sync to sharepoint, everytthing works (users get alerted, users can access and edit tasks from outlook and those changes are synced across all of of the outlook users) but the project never gets updated again.

• Marked as answer by Mike Glen Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:25 PM
  • From other blog:
    To resolve all above issues I did some goggling and found some solutions around it. But none of them are 100% solving my problem.
    Some people says
    Links can only be Finish to Start;
    External dependencies are prohibited;
    Custom fields are problematic i.e. sometimes will sync, then subsequent runs will fail. Is any body  SME in this...?
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:33 AM
  • SharePoint can only synchronize resources that exist within its environment. In this example the user named “Test User 1” is assigned to a task in Microsoft Project but as it does not exist in SharePoint the synchronization cannot be done. The resource assigned to this task is removed in SharePoint.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:47 AM