Sequencing Windows Messenger 5.1 RRS feed

• Question

• We are wanting to upgrade our users from Windows Messenger 5.1 (using SIP) to the new Microsoft Lync client.  We would like to let users run the 2 side by side for some time to let them get used to Lync and migrate their contacts over.  Currently, when you install Lync, it breaks Messenger.  I've been working on a Messenger App-V package, but have run into a wall.  If I leave the Messenger physically installed, the App-V package works great.  If I completely uninstall Messenger from the machine, the App-V version no longer works.  I've re-sequenced several times and can't figure out what's happening.  I'm assuming there's some dependency that's not getting installed, but I can't figure out what it is.

Here are the messages I'm getting:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Virtualization Client
    Event Category: (37)
    Event ID: 6096
    Date:  9/30/2010
    Time:  4:28:45 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: XXXXXXXXX
    Description:
    {tid=AD4:usr=USER1}
    An error occurred while opening the virtual registry (section: 9), rc: 07B01F0C-0000004A

Event ID: 6096
    Computer: XXXXXXXX
    Description:
    {tid=AD4}
    An error occurred while opening the virtual registry (section: 9), rc: 07B01F0C-0000004A
    Event Category: Network
    Event ID: 3102
    Computer: XXXXXXXXX

Description:
    {hap=1A9:app=Windows Messenger 5.1.0.715:tid=AD4:usr=USER1}
    Elapsed time for upload: 0.31 seconds
    Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 6001

Description:
    {tid=AD4:usr=USER1}
    Unable to CreateProcess (rc 1B401F2C-000036B1)
    Event Category: Network
    Event ID: 3079

Description:
    {hap=1A9:app=Windows Messenger 5.1.0.715:tid=AD4:usr=USER1}
    The client could not launch V:\Messenger\Msmsgs.exe (rc 1B401F2C-000036B1, last error 87).
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2012

Description:
    The virtual application 'Windows Messenger 5.1.0.715' failed to launch for user grossac with error 4604EE8-1B401F2C-000036B1.
    Event Type:	Error
    Event Source:	Application Virtualization Client
    Event Category:	(26)
    Event ID:	3001
    Date:		9/30/2010
    Time:		4:28:45 PM
    User:		N/A
    Computer:XXXXXXXXX 
    Description: {tid=14FC:usr=USER1} The Application Virtualization Client could not launch Windows Messenger 5.1.0.715. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. Error code: 4604EE8-1B401F2C-000036B1
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Two options..

1. http://www.shawnbass.com/Blogs/tabid/58/EntryId/170/App-V-4-5-File-System-race-condition-found-and-fixed.aspx

2. Install any prerequisites natively, such as;

.NET Framework

Visual C++ <insert year>

Visual J#

(thats on both seq and client..)

/Znack

Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:38 PM
  • From what I can tell, the prereqs are already on both machines.  Here's what I've tried:

1. Launch Physically installed Messenger 5.1 (no issues)
    2. Launch Virtual Messenger 5.1 (no issues)
    3. Close both applications
    4. Uninstall Messenger 5.1.
    5. Clear Messenger from client class and deleted in App-V Client
    6. Refresh from server
    4. Launch Virtual Messenger 5.1
    5. Get errors as mentioned above

Basically, as long as Messenger 5.1 is installed, it works.  I can't figure out what could be getting uninstalled that is a prereq for the App-V version.   Also, we are using App-V 4.6.

Friday, October 1, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Hello,

Seems that when installing Messenger 5.1 something is not captured (part of the exclusion items) or a component which can not be virtualized is layed onto the operating system.

You could use PROCMOn to determine what happens during a failed and a successfull startup to compare the two.

/Znack
    Friday, November 19, 2010 11:53 PM
  • If something is not captured into the package, the first exclusion items I would try to remove are for "Local Settings" in user profile and "CSIDL_APPDATA_LOCAL". Sometimes application install some files over there which are in fact needed when roamed, although "by the book" that shouldn't be the case.

Those failed to open virtual registry (section: 9) are harmless and do not contribute to your problem. Error 87 is, if it's coming from regular Windows errors, "The parameter is incorrect", indicating that something is not right with the application configuration. This would suggest for missing files in some directory.

• Proposed as answer by znack Monday, November 22, 2010 10:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:54 PM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 7:45 AM
  • hi all,

I have sequenced windows messenger 5.1 but at the time of it's launch it's giving error messages like 036b1 (on win 7 machine) and on win xp machine it works like a charm....

at the time of sequencing it the application didn't get launched....I have set the UAC at the lowest level in the machine in which i was sequencing it....If somebody have sequenced it successfully please reply asap.....

Thanks & regards

pranay.

Saturday, July 30, 2011 12:26 PM
  • Windows Messenger 5.1 is not compatible with Windows 7 - if it will work at all, you will need to work out what is causing the issue and create a compatibility shim

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, August 1, 2011 4:27 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Monday, November 14, 2011 4:13 PM
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:56 PM
  • hi aaron,

I know it's not compatible with windows 7....I just tried it installing locally on win 7 machine and it's working pretty fine....but i am not able to sequence....at the time of sequencing the application it gives the compatibility error message...

Thanks & regards

pranay.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Hello,

You can always use procmon to determine whats missing using Process Monitor.

See an example of a very specific problem;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541008

See another example of a very specific problem;

http://www.viridisit.se/eng/blog/sequence-ecowin-pro-6/

You might have to investigate the application and identify similiar workarounds

See this summary; http://www.applepie.se/this-application-has-failed-to-start-because-the-application-configuration-is-incorrect

/Znack
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Monday, January 2, 2012 8:36 AM