SCCM 2007 & 2012 DB on the SCCM 2012 site server RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have two sccm infrastructures.

1) The « old » SCCM 2007 site with SQL database hosted on a SQL cluster.
    2) The New SCCM 2012 with SQL database on the site server.
    The new SCCM will go into production in june and the SCCM 2007 will be decommissioned one month later.

My problem is that the SQL cluster hosting the SCCM 2007 database has to be decomissioned asap. So, I need a temporary solution to host my SCCM 2007 DB.
    Can I move the SCCM 2007 database to the SCCM 2012 site server ? Is this supported ? What about installing the SCCM 2007 backup service on the SCCM 2012 site server ?

Thanks for your advices.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:44 PM

All replies

• I run both my SCCM 2007 and SCCM 2012 databases in the same SQL Server in my demo labs quite frequently and have had no issues.  Since the default 2007 name is SMS_<site> and the default 2012 name is CM_<site>, you should not have database name overlap.  However, I don't know if this is a production supported configuration or not and I've not tried using both backup services at once, so can't answer that.

If you are decommissioning your 2007 environment, can you just put a SQL Server install on the 2007 site server and move the database from the cluster there for the remaining few months?

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Sunday, March 31, 2013 4:55 AM
  • It requires a Unique instance, why not move it to the SCCM 2007 server? You should not host other site systems role on an existing site server.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Sunday, March 31, 2013 7:07 AM