none
Promote Backup domain controller to primary controller RRS feed

• Question

• I configured a 2019 server to a backup domain controller. The primary is a 2008 server. I used the server manager GUI on the 2019 server to add the roles I wanted on the backup domain. I created the backup it replicates everything from the primary they look identical. How do I promote the 2019 backup server to the primary domain controller. I keep on reading about moving FSMO roles to the backup server. Do I need to do it again. Or just promote the backup server to primary. 
    Thursday, August 27, 2020 6:34 PM

All replies

• Hello Datamanpa,

You have to move the FSMOs from the server with windows server 2008 to the new server with windows server 2019, when the functions are moved successfully you can format the server with windows server 2008 to windows server 2019 and thus join that server with windows server 2019 in the domain

Follow a link to the official microsoft documentation to assist you in the process.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/itops-talk-blog/how-to-migrate-windows-server-2008-r2-fsmo-roles-to-windows/ba-p/538377

Jádson Alves MCT|MCSE|MCSA Blog: jadsonalves.com.br

Thursday, August 27, 2020 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

there hasn't been such a thing as a primary DC, or a backup DC, since Windows 2000. Threre are five FSMO roles which, in theory, could be placed on five different servers (although this would be bad practice and cause all sorts of phenomena).

Like the previous respondent, I am assuming that you're planning to get rid of the 2008 server. 

In theory, if you demote the first (2008) DC it should transfer all FSMO roles to the other DC automatically before proceeding with the demotion. In practice, however, I would strongly advise that you move all FSMO roles to the new DC before demoting the old one. Just run

Move-ADDirectoryServerOperationMasterRole -Identity <2019DC>
    -OperationMasterRole RIDMaster, PDCEmulator, InfrastructureMaster, SchemaMaster, DomainNamingMaster
    on the new DC in an elevated PowerShell. Keep in mind that you need to be a member of Schema Admins in order to move the Schema Master.

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Thursday, August 27, 2020 8:28 PM