none
SM Crashing When Opening Calls

Question

• Hi,

When some of our users open a Service Request that has been created it crashes. I've found what's causing the crash but I need advice as to whether this is normal (hope not) and if there's a fix.

The calls that have been created have been logged in the Portal using a template that our Service Desk do not have access to as they don't need to see that template when they bring up the list of templates when logging calls (trying to declutter things). When I give them access to the template the calls open fine.

This isn't ideal as we have teams and departments that will receive calls but don't have access to the template as they will never log that call themselves. Any help you can give on a solution would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Lee,

Sadly this is normal. I have spent a couple of months with Microsoft trying to get them to fix the issue, they have acknowledged there is a fault but as there is a workaround they will not fix this even though it is a simple check to see if the returned related RequestId for the returned is null.

Like you we wanted to reduce the number of templates that our Service Desk see when creating a Service Request,  which resulted in the console crashing out.

The workaround given by Microsoft is to add the template to a user role that the analysts are a member of

Tim

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

can you please post more information about the SCSM? Which version and which UR is installed?

Thnaks,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:34 AM
  • Hi Stoyan,

We use SCSM 2012 R2 UR7

We have our IT Analysts in a specific AD group and have created an Advanced Operator User Role for them. We also have the End Users Role which has the Authorised Users in it.

I'm aware that if we still require our Analysts to log those calls on the SSP they need to have the templates selected in their Role but not to view a call that has been created using the template.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:15 PM
  • Hi Lee,

Sadly this is normal. I have spent a couple of months with Microsoft trying to get them to fix the issue, they have acknowledged there is a fault but as there is a workaround they will not fix this even though it is a simple check to see if the returned related RequestId for the returned is null.

Like you we wanted to reduce the number of templates that our Service Desk see when creating a Service Request,  which resulted in the console crashing out.

The workaround given by Microsoft is to add the template to a user role that the analysts are a member of

Tim

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:32 PM
  • Thanks Tim.

Not the answer I wanted but sadly expected. I'll rename the portal templates so they don't show when our guys search for them.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:14 AM
  • Hi Lee,

Wasn't surprised myself when I was told by the various different engineers the ticket was escalated too, and I know of the pain you have with this as we have a client with over 300 different templates in use on their portal.

Thankfully the template dialog allows you to filter the results so their Service Desk don't complain about it too much.

Just so you know, the analysts don't need access to the templates to log a call via the portal as the portal service is using a more privileged account (depending on how you configured the accounts of cause). We generally set the custom End User Role to not have access to any templates except the Default Incident and Service Request ones and then set the base Analysts User Role to have them, which seems to work out fine for us.

Tim

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:13 PM