none
Half Completed Windows 10 Upgrade

Question

• I am helping a friend who is a not very experienced PC user with Windows 7 on her HP Pavilion desktop - I am somewhat more experienced but still not an expert.  She thinks she inadvertently accepted the suggestion on her screen to convert to Windows 10.  She had not intended to do that and I think she subsequently switched the machine off to prevent it from continuing although she is unclear about that.  Afterwards every time she switched the PC on she was faced with messages saying the system was attempting to repair itself but it kept failing to do that and effectively looping round options.  i have tried loading a Wndows 7 recovery disc and it reports that it can only see a Windows 10 system on the hard drive.  Eventually I used the recovery disc to set up a new version of Win 7.  It now shows me two previous Windows folders Windows.old and Windows.old000  

The Windows.old000 appears to be her previous Win 7 so I guess the Windows.old is the failed attempt at Windows 10.

She did not have much on her system other than Microsoft Office and Norton.  All she really wants is to get either her previous Win 7 working again or for her version of Office to work on the new Win 7 I have installed.   I have not tried to run any of the Office suite as I am guessing they will say they are not registered on the new version of Windows and I do not want to possibly change what might still work on the old version.

Can anybody suggest how I can either get the old Win 7 working again e.g. as if I was rolling back from Win 10 or get the Office software to work on the new Win 7 system.  My friend has not so far found the original documentation when she purchased the PC so probably will not find the original Office product keys.

Regards

Mike

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:57 PM

All replies

• Mike

A confluence of problems.

What is it she wants to do?

Does she have...

A backup

A win 7 dvd

Emails with her office keys?

We need a bunch more info..

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:46 PM
  • Hi Team Zigzag

We have a Win 7 recovery disc, we have the Win 7 Home Premium Product Key on the label on her PC.  I have used those to create a working version of Win 7 on her PC.  All she wants is to get her legitimate copy of MS Office working that is still present on the hard drive but in her previous Windows folder.  I guess what I was hoping was that someone here might know how to cause the roll back to Win 7 that Win 10 should have created.  I would imagine that the Win 10 that was being created when she switched the machine off would have carried the Office suite forward if it had successfully installed.  Would it or the old Win 7 have the Office Product key saved somewhere from which I might be able to retrieve it?

Regards

Mike

• Edited by mcaryf Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:16 AM
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:15 AM
  • Mike

Sorry for being so dense. 

How did you "create a working version of win 7"?

Does she care if she is on win 7 or win 10?

Is the only problem currently the Office not working?

What happens if she launches office?  are there error codes, does it not do anything, etc.

I had written a whole post on how to, but deleted it because I am not sure of the goals, and where the machine is currently.

There are apps that will find the Keys if you were able to revert.  Hopefully you will not have to

If it has been less than 30 days since the upgrade it is a simple procedure to revert but that depends on what you did to create a working win 7

Before you do anything try these two apps to see if they can find the office keys. 

Use the free one first (it usually finds them) https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/  (Dont buy the paid version)

https://neosmart.net/blog/2014/windows-10-embedded-product-key-tool/

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:13 AM
  • Hi mcaryf,

According to your description, We need first to rename the windows.old as windows.old10 and then rename windows.old000 to windows.old.

we could restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder. Please check the link below

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971760

If you want to know the Office Product key we need to install the Office or restore the previous version. Then we could follow the steps in the link below to check

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Find-your-Office-product-key-after-installation-026bc81b-6b2f-4052-b433-f41e6cc31c5a

Because the Windows.old folder includes user files, program, if we couldn’t restore successfully, I’m afraid we need to reinstall Office.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:44 AM
  • Thanks to both Zigzag and Carl Fan for suggestions.

I tried the Magical Jelly Bean to get the product key and it could not find the relevant file in either of the two "old" Windows systems.  I had myself previously tried a program called produkey without success.

The ideal solution would be to return to her previous version of Windows 7 as that would solve both the Office problem and the fact that she does not have things such as the password to her Wifi hub.

I read the article suggested by Carl with respect to rolling back to an earlier OS from Win 7.  The context of that article seemed to be wanting to go back to XP or some other earlier OS variant.  Of course what I want to do is to go back to an earlier Win 7 from a newly installed Win 7 on the same disc.

The interesting point for me is the idea of renaming the Windows folder.  When I set up the new version of Win 7 I did it using a Win 7 recovery disc but effectively creating a new Win 7 with it rather than repairing a previous version.  The reason I did that was because the recovery disc only reported the presence of a Win 10 system rather than showing there was also an old Win 7 there.  Might this have been because of the name or does the recovery disc look inside folders to check for some indication of the presence of an OS?  If so I could try renaming the real old Win 7 folder and check if the recovery disc sees it.  I will leave this until tomorrow in case someone on here has another suggestion.  My concern about trying to recover it is whether the existence of my new Win 7 might cause unpredictable results if I recover the old one!  

Regards

Mike

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:02 AM