Windows Performance Toolkit trace in WPA not showing Network I/O? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've taken some traces using the Network I/O profile via commandline:

"WPR.exe -start Network" and "WPR.exe -stop C:\temp\networktrace.etl",

but when I view it in WPA, "WPA.exe C:\networktrace.etl", I don't see a category in the Graph Explorer for the Network I/O. The categories are the same as when I record the trace without specifying a profile or by specifying -start GeneralProfile.

Windows Performance Analyzer - Graph Explorer

I also tried using the GUI tools instead of command-line but I have the same result.

My OS is Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise x64 but have also tried on x86.

I've tried the WPT for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (all were tried running on Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise x64).

Any thoughts about why I'm not seeing the Network I/O in the Windows Performance Analyzer graph explorer?

P.S. I originally posted this in the "Performance >Windows Performance Toolkit" forum but it appears to be un-moderated and full of off-topic posts so I'm not expecting an answer on that post.

Friday, November 20, 2015 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

During my testing, I get same graph as you mentioned above, and I will continue focus on this issue.

For now, please use Network Monitor to trace network traffic. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

During my testing, I get same graph as you mentioned above, and I will continue focus on this issue.

For now, please use Network Monitor to trace network traffic. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:41 AM
  • Hi Allen,

I just experienced the same problem: recording networking IO, but not showing up in WPA. ( in my case: Win7 VM with Win8.1 WPR.)

You you resolve the issue? starting a 2nd tool is not really an option.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:34 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same thing. Any luck enabling the communication part?
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 12:40 PM