Uninstall problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am having problems uninstalling programs in Vista Business.
    When i start uninstalling programs in middle of job I get message :
    "error 1719:
    The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This could be if the Windows Installer is not currently installed."

I have checked windows services and windows installer status is - not started.
    It's startup type is manuall, but i have also tried automatic but i still can't uninstall programs.
    And when i click Start service i got message that service has stopped because it' not being used...

Please Help!!

Sunday, December 16, 2007 12:22 PM

Answers

•  

Hi freak_lick,

Thank you for the post.

This issue can occur if Windows Installer is corrupt.

I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue:

Method1 Re-register Windows Installer Components

==========

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator to open command prompt.

2. Type “%windir%\system32\msiexec /unregserver” (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

3. Type “%windir%\system32\msiexec /regserver” (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

Can you uninstall programs now?

Method 2 Clean Boot

==========

1. Click the Start Button, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Select "Normal Startup".

3. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

4. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

5. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is just a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can enable them later on. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

If the issue persists, please let me know if you are running Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit. To check whether it is 32bit or 64bit, please right-click Computer and click Properties.

Hope it helps.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:16 AM

All replies

• Same problem I get when I want to install programs in vista..
    It can't be true that no one can help me over this problem...
    Monday, December 17, 2007 7:39 PM
  •  

Hi freak_lick,

Thank you for the post.

This issue can occur if Windows Installer is corrupt.

I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue:

Method1 Re-register Windows Installer Components

==========

1. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator to open command prompt.

2. Type “%windir%\system32\msiexec /unregserver” (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

3. Type “%windir%\system32\msiexec /regserver” (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

Can you uninstall programs now?

Method 2 Clean Boot

==========

1. Click the Start Button, type MSCONFIG in the Search Bar and Press Enter to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click the Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Select "Normal Startup".

3. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

4. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

5. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is just a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can enable them later on. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click OK.

If the issue persists, please let me know if you are running Windows Vista 32bit or 64bit. To check whether it is 32bit or 64bit, please right-click Computer and click Properties.

Hope it helps.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:16 AM
  • I am having trouble uninstalling as well.  When I try Method 1, I do not see "Run as administrator" and when I try Method 2, I still get the "setup/install has stoppped working" error message.

I don't know what to try next!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:35 PM
  • I am having trouble with unstalling.  I tried Method 1, but there was no option "Run as administrator" and Method 2 did not work either.  Still get the "setup/uninstall has stopped working" error message.

I don't know what to try next.  Everything is still disabled, as per Method 2 instructions, so please let me know if this will cause problems too.

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:38 PM

• Hey Tim;
    I tried both of your methods trying to resolve my problem, just to let you know I am able to remove some programs. It is only occuring right now when I am trying to remove Java. My OS is Vista 32bit. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thank you

Monday, March 31, 2008 12:48 PM
  • Hi Tim, i have a similar prob in that the path for windows installer is not available and cant be found.

I have tried your method 1 and 2, unfortunatley the issue still persists, running vista home premium 32bit with sp1.

So cant install anything using windows installer service...  any help much appreciated as i have searched other forums and tried similar methods but your explaination is the best yet,but still not fixed.    Thanks.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:16 PM
  • I have had a 7 month long, nightmarish history with error 1719 on my new sony vaio laptop.

Here is the exact error wording:

Error 1719.Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support

personnel to verify that it is properly registered and enabled.

I cannot install ANY software.

I cannot find any straighforward answers.

I am running 32bit vista home premium.

I have tried to Re-register Windows Installer Components

The command prompt returns this message:

The system cannot find the path specified

can YOU help me????
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:03 PM
  • did not work 32 bit Vista home premium. System shows Window Installer running Manual (changed after showing Siopped) Havve downloaded 4.5 Installer. Has Installer connected to OFICE program? Method 1 did not work as it shows 'cannot acess regserver' any further help MUCHLY appreciated.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:33 PM
  • did you get a solution SAME HERE!!! apopo@telusplanet.net

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:38 PM
  • So ;  drastic measures had to be taken !  In short i backed up every single file to an external hard drive, then used my recovery dvd, and then the driver disc (that came with the pc when new) this wipes everything on your drive clean and then reinstalls vista, complete with installer service of course.  I was then able to install all my original progs, files, and more !   Just hope it dos`nt happen again as im still unaware as to what exactly caused it in the first place, and why so many simple methods to fix the dreaded 1719 would`nt work ??  All the best and good luck ! 

Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:25 PM