none
How to Add A Task on a Timesheet that is Scheduled to start later than the current Time Period RRS feed

• Question

• I have a task that started earlier than planned. When I go to add it to the timesheet for the period in which it started, the task does not show up on the list of tasks.  I noticed that the task  does appear on the timesheet for the period in which it is scheduled to start. Is it possible to add a task on a timesheet for a period that is earlier than the start date of the task, and if so, how, and will Project change the start date in the project plan based on the timesheet entry? Thanks.

Judy Washington

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Marc,

I tested my theory by changing two of the tasks to auto-scheduled, and they showed up on the timesheet list so my theory was confirmed. I also heard from another forum user that manually scheduled tasks have hHARD fixed start and finish dates so the assumption is they will not start early.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Judy

Judy Washington

• Marked as answer by Judy IPD Friday, October 26, 2012 12:16 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Judy,

You can add any task that is assigned to you unless it is locked for usage. Go to your timesheet > Insert Row >Insert Task > Select your project and the task and select OK.

The task will now appear in your timesheet.

Should you enter actual work earlier than the original planed start, the task will move to the date where you entered your first actual work.

hope this helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com

Monday, October 22, 2012 9:39 PM
  • Mark,

I already tried your suggestion before posting my question. The task does not appear on the list so I thought it might be because it was not scheduled to start until the following week. (The task DOES appear on the timesheet during the week that it is scheduled to start - without having to be added).

Judy Washington

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:40 AM
  • Marc,

I already tried your suggestion before posting my question, because that is my understanding of how it works. I just remembered that unlike taks in other projects,  the tasks in this particular project are manually scheduled. Could that be the reason it will not allow me to add a task to the timesheet before it is scheduled to happen?

Judy Washington

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:47 AM
  • Hi Judy,

That may be the case. Have you tried to auto schedule one of the tasks?

Let me know how you go

Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Hi Marc,

I tested my theory by changing two of the tasks to auto-scheduled, and they showed up on the timesheet list so my theory was confirmed. I also heard from another forum user that manually scheduled tasks have hHARD fixed start and finish dates so the assumption is they will not start early.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Judy

Judy Washington

• Marked as answer by Judy IPD Friday, October 26, 2012 12:16 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Great you resolved it yourself :)

Sunday, October 28, 2012 8:51 PM