Microsoft Tools for VMware Integration - Jump Start (free public online training) RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft’s IT Pro Evangelism team, Microsoft Learning and the Microsoft Virtual Academy are pleased to announce the next Jump Start course Microsoft Tools for VMware Integration & Migration on Thursday, March 14th from 8am – 12pm PST

This is a live, public, free, online event so sign up today: http://aka.ms/vmtools.  This event will be recorded and available on the Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA) several weeks later, so even if you cannot make the live event, sign up so that you receive a notification once the course is available on the MVA.

This course is designed for IT professionals who need to manage, monitor and automate VMware in their datacenter using System Center 2012 SP1.  During this half-day Jump Start, Microsoft Senior Technical Evangelist Symon Perriman (MCSE and VMware Certified Professional) will be joined by four different Microsoft and VMware experts during the team-taught learning experience.  First, Eric Winner will share how Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) and App Controller can run VMware infrastructure, hypervisor and VMs.  Next Michael Stafford from Veeam will show how the Veeam Management Pack for Operations Manager monitors and reports on the VMware infrastructure.  Third, Justin Incarnato demonstrates how VMware can be integrated and automated using Orchestrator.  Finally, Anupama Vedapuri walks through the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC), a free Solution Accelerator that converts VMware-based VMs and disks to Hyper-V.

Agenda (PST)

• 8am – 9am | Manage VMware with SC2012 SP1 Virtual Machine Manager
    • 9am – 10am | Monitor VMware with SC2012 SP1 Operations Manager and Veeam
    • 10am – 11am | Automate VMware with SC2012 SP1 Orchestrator
    • 11am – 12pm | Migrate VMware VMs using Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC)

Tweet us!  Free #MSJumpstart course on #Microsoft tools for #VMware integration & migration on 3/14 with @SymonPerriman http://aka.ms/VMtools  #VMM

Also check out previous virtualization Jump Start events which are now available on the MVA:

Thanks!
    Symon Perriman
    Senior Technical Evangelist
    Private Cloud & Virtualization
    Microsoft
    Twitter @SymonPerriman

Friday, March 8, 2013 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

I attended the Jumpstart last Thursday and I have to say it was the 6th great Jump Start I've attended in a row.  I've now started to build Runbooks using the VMware IP but have hit what seem to be some fundamental bugs and what appears to be some disparity between the TechNet documentation for the IP and the actual IP itself v7.0.469.0.

Tested on three independent systems that have the following setup.  Server 2008 R2 as OS.  VSphere 5.1 on server 1. SC Orchestrator SP1 on server 2 with all Orchestrator components installed on the same server.  VMware IP 7.0.469.0

Bug:

If the VCenter 5.1 server contains any vApp containers then certain functions (Get VM List) fail to load their configuration properties with the following error: 'object reference not set to an instance of an object' 'Exception: IntegratedPackException' 'Target site: ServiceBase.Design' 'Stack trace: at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.VIQIK.ServicBase.Design(IActivityDesigner designer)'

I can reliably replicate this issue on any VCenter 5.1 server by creating a vApp.

Also in the properties of 'Get VM Properties' when I click the 'VM Path' ellipsis only VMs that are not part of a vAPP are returned.  This also happens when selecting paths/VMs for adding Network Adapters, RAM, CPUs, etc.  Essentially it seems the IP doesn't recognise vAPPs until I Utilise 'Get Resource Pool Runtime Info', at which point all the vAPPs are returned as Resource Pools.

I can replicate all of the above on vSphere/SC Orchestrator systems. The behaviour is consistent.

TechNet documentation discrepancy:

In the IP there is an activity called 'Get Resource Pool Runtime Info' in the documentation http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh228178.aspx it is described as 'Get Resource Pool Properties'.  The documentation goes on to describe how in System Center SP1 the name 'Get Resource Pool Runtime Info' is the legacy name for the pre-SP1 release of the IP/Orchestrator.  However in all my systems I see the legacy name for the activity rather than the SP1 name.  I'm wondering if this is in preparation for a release of an update to v7.0 of the VMware IP.

I remember from the Jumpstart session that somebody asked if VSphere 5.1 was supported and the answer came back as yes.

I'm not necessarily looking for a technical solution to my problems above, but a response as to whether these are known issues with vSphere 5.1 and Orchestrator SP1 with v7.0.469.0 of the VMware IP would be good, and whether there is going to be a patch or updated IP release soon to address the issues.  It appears that I am not the only one experiencing this problem.  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/scoscip/thread/2a1c03db-c24b-43c8-b035-f7c8cd6f6a83

Despite this set back I'm still enthusiastic about the possibilities of using SC Orchestrator with VMware, however with this current and fairly significant bug I and many others are not able to use the products the way we need to.

Monday, March 18, 2013 12:36 PM