Sharepoint 2007 error: Server Error in '/' Application - After KB4338612 Security Update RRS feed

• Question

• After applying this security patch (KB4338612) to Windows Server, no SharePoint 2007 sites will load other than Central Administration.

When removing this .NET security update it resolves the issue but we need to find the cause so we can again add the security update.

I cant find anything from Google as to issues with this windows patch to date.

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Cannot complete this action.

Please try again.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Cannot complete this action.

Please try again.

Source Error: 
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 
    [COMException (0x80004005): Cannot complete this action.

Please try again.]
       Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.PreInitServer(String bstrAbsoluteRequestUrl, String bstrServerRelativeUrl, Int32 lZone, Guid gApplicationId, Guid gSiteId, Guid gDatabaseId, String bstrDatabaseServer, String bstrDatabaseName, String bstrDatabaseUsername, String bstrDatabasePassword, Boolean fHostHeaderIsSiteName) +0
       Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.PreInitServer(String bstrAbsoluteRequestUrl, String bstrServerRelativeUrl, Int32 lZone, Guid gApplicationId, Guid gSiteId, Guid gDatabaseId, String bstrDatabaseServer, String bstrDatabaseName, String bstrDatabaseUsername, String bstrDatabasePassword, Boolean fHostHeaderIsSiteName) +359

[SPException: Cannot complete this action.

Please try again.]
       Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.PreInitServer(String bstrAbsoluteRequestUrl, String bstrServerRelativeUrl, Int32 lZone, Guid gApplicationId, Guid gSiteId, Guid gDatabaseId, String bstrDatabaseServer, String bstrDatabaseName, String bstrDatabaseUsername, String bstrDatabasePassword, Boolean fHostHeaderIsSiteName) +479
       Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite.PreinitializeServer(SPRequest request) +666
       Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.InitializeSPRequest() +548
       Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.EnsureSPRequest() +75
       Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Request() +74
       Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPControl.SPWebEnsureSPControl(HttpContext context) +613
       Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPControl.GetContextWeb(HttpContext context) +41
       Microsoft.SharePoint.ApplicationRuntime.SPRequestModule.PostResolveRequestCacheHandler(Object oSender, EventArgs ea) +595
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +80
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +171

Monday, July 23, 2018 5:57 AM

All replies

• Have you found any solution for this?

I had the same error on my WSS3 server.

I did uninstall the patch, it took a few other steps to get the sites stable again.

1) Uninstall KB4338612 
    2) Restart server
    3) detach each content database and reatach them.
    4) run the command psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force -cmd secureresources
    5) IISReset

After that the sites cam back up.

I did this multiple times as I did it for each site at first until I found a pattern.

I am worried because I know the security patch is important, I just can't have it applied until it does not kill all of my sites.

Sunday, July 29, 2018 9:36 PM
  • I beleive it is related to this known issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4345913/access-denied-errors-after-installing-july-2018-security-rollup-update

We're waiting on Microsoft to find a working solution as per their note.
    Sunday, July 29, 2018 11:35 PM
  • Have you opened a ticket on this?
    Sunday, July 29, 2018 11:45 PM
  • We will be soon yes, its breaking a few applications so gathering more data.
    Monday, July 30, 2018 7:13 AM
  • MS have refused to support 2007 so troubleshooting with them has been useless. The work around

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4345913/access-denied-errors-after-installing-july-2018-security-rollup-update

Do not work and no ETA on a fix. Anyone manged to get it working again?

Andrew Watts MCSE MCP BSC SSC GSC

Monday, July 30, 2018 11:15 AM
  • Hi

What do you mean you found a pattern. I have tried your solution but it didn't work for me

Thanks in advance

Monday, July 30, 2018 11:16 AM
  • I did a few things early on, they may have helped.

Clear the cache in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config

Ran psconfig a a few times while troubleshooting it.

Other than that, not sure.

Monday, July 30, 2018 11:28 AM
  • Thanks, I have tried that as well. Stumped at the moment. I have made a very dangerous change that is working temporarily to get the sites working. I changed the 404 for the site to point towards a working file in the customs error directory. This, for some reason, made it work.

Monday, July 30, 2018 12:00 PM
  • Good news Everyone

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4345913/access-denied-errors-after-installing-july-2018-security-rollup-update 

MS have released a fixed patch for this issue.

Fast work from MS, well done

Cheers

Wattsy

• Proposed as answer by DiscoveryX Monday, August 6, 2018 8:29 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2018 7:39 PM
  • Thanks for the update, I'm running it now!
    Monday, July 30, 2018 8:01 PM
  • Did this fix actually work for anyone? We are experiencing similar symptoms but the update has made no difference?

Strangely our SP2007 site runs after a reboot but if the Application Pool gets recycled (as it does at 1:40am every night), that leaves the site completely inaccessible. The web pages just say "Cannot complete this action.  Please try again"

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:55 PM
  • We are seeing the same thing.

The interesting part is it is not effecting CA and now some of the web apps are coming up but not all of them.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:32 PM
  • Yes, some web applications still work for us. The most important one doesn't though. CA is on another box which we've not patched yet, so that is still working anyway.

I've uninstalled almost all of the updates that were applied over the weekend, only one more to go, and I'm still seeing the same behaviour. In fact,the behaviour has worsened, the site never works now, even after a reboot!

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 5:56 PM
  • OK,

The more digging I did the more I feel I have a grip on this.

The application pools are what is causing the issue.

For testing purposes only!
    Try moving your down web app into a app pool that is up and running.

I was able to notice that some of my app pools were acting up.  

Still trying to get a clear understanding what it is happening.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:12 PM
  • The patch MS delivered on 30th does not do the trick, that is for sure.

Have you Rick or anyone found a working fix for this, or is the uninstalling of the KB4338612 Security update only way to go around the issue?

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 9:57 AM
  • I've uninstalled all the patches, and that hasn't helped. In addition, the other server that we'd held back applying the patches to, has just self-installed the updates and rebooted. So we're now "farm down". Interestingly, as mentioned above, Central Admin is still working...

I'll post here if I work this out.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 12:28 PM
  • Strangely the server (Win 2008 R2) that was failing yesterday has started to work today. Yesterday I had uninstalled all the recent patches, and installed the supposed MS fixes. It wasn't working yesterday after doing that, but it is now. Go figure. 

I did have success fixing another environment with the MS patch KB4346744, so give that a shot if you're having this problem.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 3:49 PM
  • I've experienced this issue as well with Windows Server 2008 R2. Windows update automatically installed KB4338420 and this issue started to happen.  I've since installed KB4346407 and rebooted.  SharePoint then works.

However, after the SharePoint App Pool recycles, SharePoint gives the same error again.  If I Stop/Start the App Pool, SharePoint works again.  Something to do with the Recycle process is causing this issue.

Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:10 PM
  • We are seeing the same thing.

The interesting part is it is not effecting CA and now some of the web apps are coming up but not all of them.

Did you guys install the fix on DB server too?

Best Regards, Pankaj Rana

Friday, August 3, 2018 5:49 PM
  • We are facing the same issue, did you install the fix? If yes, did you install it on DB server too?

Friday, August 3, 2018 5:50 PM
  • Good news Everyone

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4345913/access-denied-errors-after-installing-july-2018-security-rollup-update 

As Andrew has already written, we have the solution from Microsoft in the article above. We just need to install the appropriate .NET Framework updates. For example, KB 4346407, 4346410 or 4346744 for Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and KB 4346410 or 4346743 for Windows Server 2008 SP2. In my case, KB 4346743 solved the problem with SharePoint 2007 on Server 2008 SP2. If we aren't sure which update exactly we need, we should to install all updates, that are appropriate for our OS and we can install.

• Edited by DiscoveryX Monday, August 6, 2018 9:35 AM error correction
    Monday, August 6, 2018 9:15 AM
  • Good news Everyone

As Andrew has already written, we have the solution from Microsoft in the article above. We just need to install the appropriate .NET Framework updates. For example, KB 4346407, 4346410 or 4346744 for Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and KB 4346410 or 4346743 for Windows Server 2008 SP2. In my case, KB 4346743 solved the problem with SharePoint 2007 on Server 2008 SP2. If we aren't sure which update exactly we need, we should to install all updates, that are appropriate for our OS and we can install.

Hi DiscoveryX,

Could you please tell what steps you took for DB server?

Monday, August 6, 2018 10:25 AM
  • Unfortunately, the patches do not seem to be 100% effective. I've got this problem in multiple farms (Prod, Test, Dev) and the patches have not made any difference, so we're still down at this point.
    Monday, August 6, 2018 12:58 PM
  • Unfortunately, the patches do not seem to be 100% effective. I've got this problem in multiple farms (Prod, Test, Dev) and the patches have not made any difference, so we're still down at this point.
    Try running PSconfig on all servers after hotfix installation

Monday, August 6, 2018 2:25 PM
  • I had tried that. I ended up just building new servers and stopping any updates beyond June...
    Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:20 AM
  • Been able to resolve this issue by installing KB4346743 on our Windows Server 2008 SP2 running single server SHP2007 Farm.
    Thursday, August 23, 2018 12:53 PM