none
Migration from SP2013 to Office365: very basic question from a newbie using SPMT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I have Sharepoint 2013 installed on premise and I want to migrate it to Office365.

The question is: can I migrate it to an O365 Tenant that will not be the definitive tenant using SPMT?

I want to do so to see if everything works and if everything works make another migration to the definitive tenant.

Another question: when I migrate using SPMT, the Sharepoint2013 on premise stay functional as it was before migration?

I mean: SPMT does only a copy to O365? When the copy is finished I have to instruct the users to log to the new tenant, but the Sharepoint 2013 on premise is still functional so that I can, if something does not work, return to it?

Thanks.

Bye

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 9:25 AM

All replies

• In Microsoft 365, tenants you can control whether users can run custom script on personal sites and self-service created sites.

During migration, some web parts require this setting set to allow. Otherwise, the web part will not be migrated.

At least 24 hours before you start migration, do the following:

From the SharePoint Admin Center, select Settings.
    Scroll down to Custom Script.
    Select both of the following:
    Allow users to run custom script on personal sites
    Allow users to run customer script on self-service created sites
    Leave these settings in place for the duration of your migration.

Note

Changes to this setting might take up to 24 hours to take effect.

For more info, see, Allow or prevent custom script

Note about logging in
    When you first launch the SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT), you are prompted for your Microsoft 365 username and password. The credentials you provide will be to the migration destination.

Authentication supported
    SPMT supports the following authentication methods:

NTLM
    Kerberos
    Forms
    ADFS
    Multi-factor authentication
    SAML-based claims
    Client certificate authentication
     Important

If the on-premises server is configured to support multiple authentication providers, including Windows authentication, then Windows authentication will not be supported. If this describes your environment, use other authentication methods instead of Windows authentication.

Where is your data currently located?
    Before you start using the SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT), note where your data is located, and where you want those files located after migration. You will be prompted for the current location of your data files and the location of the SharePoint Online site collection where you want them copied. SPMT lets you select from two sources from which to migrate your data: from an on-premises SharePoint Server 2010 or 2013 site, or from a local file share or network path.

SharePoint on-premises: If you select the SharePoint on-premises option, you are prompted to enter the name of the SharePoint Server site where your files are located and prompted for your credentials for that site. You will indicate what document library you wish to migrate.

Note

SPMT supports SharePoint Server 2010* and 2013.

File share: If you select the file share option, you are prompted to enter the location of the file share, the URL of the SharePoint Online site, and the document library where they will be copied. The files are not deleted from the source.

Using the SharePoint Migration tool
    To install the current release download, go to: SharePoint Migration Tool

Migrating data files from SharePoint Server document libraries

Start SPMT, and then enter your Microsoft 365 username and password.

Select Start your first migration.

Select SharePoint Server.

Enter the SharePoint Server site URL where your content is located, and then select Next.

Important

Proxy connections are not supported. Using Proxy connections yields errors such as "SharePoint login fail" or "cannot load document library".

Enter your username and password to the SharePoint Server site; username must use the format of someone@example.com. Select Sign in.

Note

If you have already signed in to that site once while using this tool, you won't be prompted again for the same site.

Select the document library where your files are located. The dropdown contains all your possible choices.

Enter the URL of the SharePoint Online site where you want your files migrated.

Select the document library to where your files will be copied.

Select Add. This task is added to the list. If you want to select another set of data files to migrate, select Add a source.

Migrating data files from a local file share

Start SPMT, and then enter your Microsoft 365 username and password.

Select Start your first migration.

Select File Share.

Enter the source path of the file share where your content is located, and then select Next.

Enter the URL of the SharePoint Online site where you want your files migrated, and then select Next.

Note

If you have already signed in to that site once while using this tool, you won't be prompted again for the same site.

Select the document library to where your files will be copied, and then select Next.

This task is added to the list. If you want to select another set of data files to migrate, select Add another source.

When you have finished selecting your sources, select Next.

Review your settings, and then select Migrate.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2020 10:42 AM
  • Thanks a lot for your answer.

But do you think can I make a test, moving the Shaprepoint 2013  to a test O365 tenant and then, if all is ok, make another migration to the official o365 tenant?

Second question: moving a site from Sharepoint2013 to O365 makes some change to Sharepoint 2013 site?

I ask this because if something does not work, my users can continue to use the onpremise Sharepoint 2013 site.

Thanks.

Bye

Henry

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 12:20 PM
  • As far as I can tell with my tests, the tool does not change anything at all at the SP2013 on prem source.  It only 'copies' the content to SPO leaving the original files in SP Prem intact.
    Friday, April 24, 2020 12:03 PM