Windows 8 Setup screen won't startt RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install Win 8 Ent x64 on a ThinkPad W510 from a DVD and the setup screen where you select language, time and keyboard input never shows up, just a blank purplish blue background.  I have the same issue when installing from a USB stick.  I know the ISO that I used to create the DVD and the USB key is good because I used the same ISO to install into a VM with no issue.  I have upgraded the BIOS on the machine to no avail.  I am downloading the ISO again, burning a new DVD and am going to try the install again but I don't have much confidence that this will resolve the problem.  Any advice/suggestions?

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:13 PM

Answers

• After waiting over an hour the language selection screen finally appeared.  I started the installation but it sat at Setup is starting for over 3 hours.  I searched on that and found that this was a problem with W7 installations.  I disabled all the devices, except USB, and restarted the install without issue.  After the computer rebooted, I went into the BIOS and re-enabled all the devices.  I had an SD card in the reader, I suspect that may have been the issue but not %100 certain.
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, September 3, 2012 9:27 AM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Hello - I have a W510 and setup using the RTM copy of Windows 8 x64 took 10 mins to get to the first setup screen and then would go blank.  To solve this, I disabled the SD Card reader in the BIOS and tried again. It went to setup within seconds and was able to install successfully. 

BIOS > Security > I/O Port Access > Memory Card Slot - Diabled

IBM Lenovo Thinkpad W510 Type 4318

• Proposed as answer by Haroon Yoeu Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:12 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:18 AM

All replies

• Are you using any tools to burn ISO file to DVD?

Post your issue in ThinkPad forum too.

If possible, try run 32bit and check if you get same error.

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:08 PM
  • After waiting over an hour the language selection screen finally appeared.  I started the installation but it sat at Setup is starting for over 3 hours.  I searched on that and found that this was a problem with W7 installations.  I disabled all the devices, except USB, and restarted the install without issue.  After the computer rebooted, I went into the BIOS and re-enabled all the devices.  I had an SD card in the reader, I suspect that may have been the issue but not %100 certain.
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, August 21, 2012 2:17 AM
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Could you post back name of devices which you disabled and issue been resolved. It could help to reproduce th problem.

You could check compatibility status of devices on:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/en-US/CompatCenter/Home

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Hello - I have a W510 and setup using the RTM copy of Windows 8 x64 took 10 mins to get to the first setup screen and then would go blank.  To solve this, I disabled the SD Card reader in the BIOS and tried again. It went to setup within seconds and was able to install successfully. 

BIOS > Security > I/O Port Access > Memory Card Slot - Diabled

IBM Lenovo Thinkpad W510 Type 4318

• Proposed as answer by Haroon Yoeu Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:12 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:18 AM
  • I had the same issue.

After reading your post, I removed the SD card from my slot.

The Install screen immediately showed up and I was able to complete the installation.

I guess there is a bug in the Windows 8 installer.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:56 PM
  • I have now spent days trying to install Windows 8 on my Lenovo W510. It was just so unbeliably slow. When I booted it on the DVD it took 20-30 mins before the first screen appeared. I tried everything from bios settings to bios upgrade. nothing helped. I then read JSKY1's post below which solved my problem. I had a large SD card in the card reader. I justnpopped it out during the waiting time, and as if by magic, the PC is now back to speed. 

To all: If your PC is slow installing Windows - take out your SD card! At least this applies for Windows 8 on Lenovo W510!!!

Thanks JSKY1!!!!

• Proposed as answer by theskak Monday, December 31, 2012 11:21 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 11:20 AM
  • how old is your computer? you also need to run the upgrade adviser first to see if your PC can run windows 8 
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 12:38 AM
  • The instructions here worked for me, namely UEFI settings...

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&DocID=HT073269

I even had to set it to legacy then back to UEFI to get it to work
    Monday, April 8, 2013 9:23 PM