App-V 5 Client + Office 2013 (Administrator OK, user Not OK) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear MS,

I've installed App-V environment onto our Windows 2008 RDS farm with your tech documents successfully.

Then I test it with a simple sequenced app (Mozilla Firefox and XML notepad) and it ran successfully.

I've also sequenced Office 2013 with ODT (Office Deployment Tool), no errors at the end.

But now the problems starts: when I log in as a normal user, then Office 2013 will show in Start menu, but disappears after a short time.

Logging in as Administrator doesn't have the issue, Office 2013 works perfectly.

The MS Office 2013 has been sequenced onto Win 2008 and 2012.

(yes, I know the 2012 sequencer is not ok for 2008 RDS, but the Firefox and Notepad were sequenced on Win 2012 and ran perfectly on Win 2008).

I did'n found related information on the technet forums.

What could it be? Kind of permissions on VFS? Where can I fix it? Or is the issue related to the sequencer?

ps. also tried installing MS hot fix 4 (and 5) for App-V 5 client, but the issues keep coming back.

Monday, July 28, 2014 10:23 AM

Answers

• Dear MS,

Thanks for your time.
    It still works now OK!!

I've following the next procedure: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2830069 for Office 2010.
    I didn't saw the following text:

Sequencing without Integration

You would have to manually install the Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V on every App-V 5.0 client machine.

After I installed the Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V on the Windows 2008 RDS server, the office 2010 runs flawlessly.
    And I forget to remove these Kit for Office 2013 and Office 2013 runs also!!!!

So: the solution is yet simple: install Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V on every RDS 2008 machines.

• Marked as answer by grasmaaier Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:30 AM

All replies

• What messages are in the App-V log in event viewer that might be applicable?

Are you redirecting the Start Menu to the network?

What are you using to manage user profiles?

Does the application run if you browse to the EXE in Windows Explorer?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, July 28, 2014 11:10 AM
  • What messages are in the App-V log in event viewer that might be applicable?

The message beneath viewed when an user log in. As an administrator, the event doesn't show up

Part or all packages publish failed.
     published: 2 (Firevox and XML notepad)
     failed: 1 (Office 2013)
    Please check the error events of 'Configure/Publish Package' before this message for the details of the failure.

EventID 19104

Are you redirecting the Start Menu to the network?

Nope, the start menu shows only default applications when the user logs in.
    The App-V Folder in Start Menu from Firefox and XML notepad are visible, but the office folder doesn't come up.
    As an administrator, both Firefox, XML notepad AND Office folders are visible.

-but-

When I use Start Menu folder redirection, no one App-V application is visible (Event shows that Applications are loaded), how can I fix it here?

What are you using to manage user profiles?
    I use AD User and Computer configuration to manage profiles

Does the application run if you browse to the EXE in Windows Explorer?
    What does this to do with app-v? Because when you sequence the app, then is it no more EXE.
    But, these EXE runs flawless in Windows Explorer (so there is no problem with the OS and the application).

Please help?

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:12 AM
  • Does the application run if you browse to the EXE in Windows Explorer?
    What does this to do with app-v? Because when you sequence the app, then is it no more EXE.
    But, these EXE runs flawless in Windows Explorer (so there is no problem with the OS and the application).

Of course there is :). Thats what Aaron means. He thought it could only be a shortcut issue, so you can start the exe from excel 2013 for exmple by hand (default location is : %programdata%\App-V\InstallRoot\PACKGE_GUID\VERSION_GUID\Root\excel.exe, I'm not sure if Office OTD installs to PVAD, but this should be the location, otherwise bworse further into programfiles from here on).

But after reading your eventlog, it shows Office does not get publsihed. Do you also get an 19105 error in your log?
    Are the following locations redirected:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS
    If so make sure they are also avaiable on the local-drive for each user who logs on to that computer.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:49 AM
  • If I create the shortcut as an user, then the excel.exe icon come up perfect.
    But when I try it to run, then it will not run. (As administrator, it runs with no issue).
    During the making of the shortcut, the admin credential pop-up appears.
    Could it be permission issue?

There is no event 19105 error log, only event 19104.

I've checked the permissions and owner of the following locations:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS
    Both of them are "TrustedInstaller", is this OK?

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:11 AM
  • Hello,

Office 2013 is not supported to be published for the user. Office 2013 is only be supported to be published globally.

See this document;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2915745/en-gb

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 10:37 PM
  • Dear MS,

Thanks for your time.
    It still works now OK!!

I've following the next procedure: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2830069 for Office 2010.
    I didn't saw the following text:

Sequencing without Integration

You would have to manually install the Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V on every App-V 5.0 client machine.

After I installed the Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V on the Windows 2008 RDS server, the office 2010 runs flawlessly.
    And I forget to remove these Kit for Office 2013 and Office 2013 runs also!!!!

So: the solution is yet simple: install Office 2010 Deployment Kit for App-V on every RDS 2008 machines.

• Marked as answer by grasmaaier Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:30 AM
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 10:30 AM