none
Project Server 2010-After June 2012 CU Event and Queue services remains disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I think this is a known issue but not sure if this is resolved after applying August 2012 CU or not as it is not mentioned in any post. So please help. The issue is -

I had applied June 2012 CU for Project Server 2010 and SharePoint Server 2010 after which the services of Project server - Microsoft Project Server 2010 Event Service and Microsoft Project Server 2010 Queue Service, remains Disabled. If I try to start the service manually, it give 1053 event ID stating "Service not responded in time". I did reboot all servers, App, WFE, and Database but still no good. I make the changes in Registry as stated in many links - ServicePipeTimeOut - 60000, and WaitToKillServiceTiomeOut - 120000, still no good. Then in one link I found providing entry in Project server Eventing and Queuing config files. Entry is -

<runtime>

<generatePublisherEvidence enabled="false"/>

</runtime>

By this entry though the service gets started, but after 1 hr is gets again disabled.

May anyone of you please suggest to resolve this issue.

Thanks, Sumit Gupta SharePoint Consultant MCP, MCTS, MCITP, CCNA

Friday, December 21, 2012 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1] In Central Administration site, in "Configure Service Accounts" try updating the service accounts for the "queue" and "event" services.

2] Is the password of the account running the event and queue service changed? If yes, try updating the password to "event" and "queue" service from services.msc.

3] Have you restarted the servers after making the registry entry?

4] The below article talks about stopping and restarting the Project Server Service from Central Administration site.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/raymond_ris/archive/2012/09/07/project-server-2010-services-stop-periodically.aspx

Tuesday, December 25, 2012 10:18 PM
  • Hi Krishnp,

The service account in use is farm account and its password is not changed. Still I reconfigured but no good. Yes I restarted the server after making changes in registry. Also I had followed the blog post as well, but no use.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Hello Sumit,

• Did you get chance to look at the point No. 4 mentioned by Krishnp? The one about checking the status of Project Application Service in the farm. Make sure that Project Application Service is running atleast on one server in the farm.
    • Have you tried running the configuration wizard after installing June CU 2012? Even you have tried it in the past, i would suggest still try running the wizard and see the behavior. If it fails look at the error log in 14/logs folder to find out the details.
    • If the wizard completes successfully and you still see the Event and Queue services in disabled mode, then you might want to run the wizard forcefully. psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force

Take successful full farm and SQL databases (related to farm) backup before performing above steps.

Please get back to us if you have any further questions.

Happy Holidays

Jignesh Thakkar

Saturday, December 29, 2012 11:47 PM
  • Hi Jignesh,

I did that already. I ran Configuration Wizard 3-4 times and even used PSCONFIG command as well. I tried Stopping and Starting from CA. There is nothing mentioned in ULS logs. I even took Verbose logs and still no use.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Happy New Year Sumit,

I personally haven't seen this issue after applying June CU 2012 in the farm. But we can try below items.

1. How many servers do you have in the farm?

2. Did you get chance to verify the CU/Patch level in all the servers of the farm? Make sure that all the servers have same SP/CU installed for SharePoint Server, Foundation and Project Server 2010.

3. You can try below commands with Admin rights. We use below commands to stop and start the services which are in the starting state and not in the disabled state. But we can certainly give it a try in this case.

stsadm -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.ProjectEventService, Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" -servicename "ProjectEventService14"

stsadm -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype " Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration.ProjectQueueService, Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Administration, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" -servicename " ProjectQueueService14"

Take successful full farm and SQL databases (related to farm) backup before performing above steps.

Please get back to us if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Jignesh

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 9:53 PM