Policy to disable saving outlook credentials not working. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Due to various issues with passwords and logins for outlook, we have enabled the "Policy to prevent Outlook from saving basic authentication credentials"  as outlined here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2708705

We don't care about the checkbox for "Remember my credentials" being on the screen, as long as it does not function.

The problem is, even with this policy applied, when you check the box, the credentials do in fact get saved in the windows credential manager... so the Policy does not appear to be working at all.

I double checked that the registry key is being created by the policy, and the registry setting does in fact exist.

Does anyone know how to make this policy actually work for outlook 2010??

Thanks,
    -Brandon

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Brandon,

I have not come across this, personally. But I was wondering, have you tried to delete the existing saved password that was previously stored in Windows Credential Manager before restarting the client(s) and testing?

-Danny

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:47 PM
  • Yes,
    That's how I figured out that it wasn't working.

I had nothing in the credential manager.
    Clicked on the "Remember my Credentials" button when outlook prompted,  and then checked credential manager and saw that multiple credentials were saved..  one being from outlook, one being for OWA, one nonspecific windows... 

Just made sure this test machine had all Office 2010 updates available.
    After testing again, I no longer see 3 different credentials being saved, but the one credential that IS saved, is for outlook.

So the policy is not functional for me =/

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:23 PM
  • Hi,

Does this issue happen to all users?

In addition to enable the policy option, have you tried manually adding the registry key to see the result?

What's more, according to my research, this setting only applies to accounts using Basic Authentication. Please check the setting on your server to see whether you are using Basic Authentication.

If you have more concern about this issue, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:30 AM
  • Hi Perry,

We only have this policy applied to a few systems for testing, and it is happening to all of those test systems.

The registry key already exists, so are you suggesting to delete the key and re-create it?

The server supports Basic and NTLM authentication.
    Is there a way to tell what format is being saved to the credential manager?

Thanks,
    -Brandon

Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:03 PM
  • Hi Brandon,

Thank you for your update.

Based on my knowledge, the policy is only available for accounts with Basic authentication. Please confirm with your server admin to check this.

>>Is there a way to tell what format is being saved to the credential manager?

As here we mainly focus on issues on Office desktop Client, sorry that I'm not familiar with this.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, March 12, 2018 8:03 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 8:23 AM