none
L2TP/IPSec with pre-shared key - 628 Error RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 mobile (since the first build) has not natively supported L2TP with a pre-shared key and PAP authentication.  The error code received will be VPN error 628, more specifically, The VPN connection failed with error code 628.  This includes, but is not limited to, Meraki MX firewall devices client VPN services.  The feature will work ONLY if you set it up within Windows Phone 8.1 and upgrade to Windows 10.  Since the Lumia 950 was never on Windows 8.1, this is not possible. 

I have been requesting this be resolved within the feedback hub for over a year now and I have to say it's quite disappointing that this simple fix has not been implemented.  I have tried registry hacks as well as scoured the entire OS file systems (or what I have been able to get to with hacks) and still have not come up with a solution. 

The same situation occurs within Windows 10 (full desktop edition), but can easily be remedied by changing the settings of the VPN adapter to require encryption and allow PAP protocol.  I was even able to adjust a line in the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk file to achieve connection within the desktop.  But none of this matters since this isn't possible with Windows 10 mobile. 

Please Microsoft, see this and fix this.  Our company would benefit from Continuum greatly, but its uses are cut drastically with the lack of VPN support.  I can't, in good faith, recommend this operating system if it can't support this simple task.

Friday, November 4, 2016 1:25 AM