Gsuite Sync for Outlook + Iphone mail RRS feed

• Question

• Running Outlook 365 64 bit (version 1908) Desktop on top of Windows 10.

The problem started this week: Whenever I send a calendar invite from Outlook (desktop app) it shows up on iPhone users email as a non descript MIME-attachment.ics. Many Iphone users will not know what this is and may ignore or think it’s a virus. That is bad friction!

If I send from Gmail (web) then it comes through to Iphone mail fine. The problem appears to be in how mail and calendar invites are encrypted in Outlook and how GSSMO (G Suite Sync Microsoft Outlook) translates those invites. Best I can tell the cause was the latest Outlook updates (Sept 2019).

I have played with Outlook setting to send mail in plain text, and with the setting "when sending meeting requests outside of your organization, use the icalendar format". Neither of these fixed the problem.

While it would be easy for Microsoft to blame Google or Iphone and say call them, their switching costs are higher and most likely I may have to move off of Outlook.

Thank you for considering.

Friday, September 27, 2019 3:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>Best I can tell the cause was the latest Outlook updates (Sept 2019).

Do you mean when using previous version of Outlook, meeting calendar receives normally for iPhone users?

I find this issue was also mentioned a lot in Apple forum. This information was reported to be useful by many users:

under Advanced Options, make sure "When sending meeting requests over Internet, use iCalendar format" is Unchecked.

Send out invitations normally.  When they come to your iPhone, the Date and Time will be in hypertext. When you click on the Date/Time, three options are displayed.  Click "Create Event".  The appointment gets created in your iCalendar on your phone and is copied to iCloud.

Besides, please exit mail app and directly receive the meeting invite on the web mail to see if there are any difference.

I think we may also download Outlook for iOS and see if Outlook app can handle meeting invite correctly.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, September 27, 2019 8:21 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, September 30, 2019 7:24 AM
    Friday, September 27, 2019 8:20 AM
  • Just check how is everything going on with this issue.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 30, 2019 7:26 AM