none
variations between %work and %duration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Why are my % work and duration different in value? If i set % duration as 50% shouldn't work be the same?

Could somebody please explain to me why this happens?

Cheers

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:00 AM

Answers

• Hello Nicholas,

In addition to the other comments, % Complete (Duration) and % Work Complete (Work) can be different if there is a work contour on the task or if there are multiple resource assigned who many not work the entire duration.

In the picture below, the % complete is 50% - we have completed half of the original 15 day duration.  However the % Work complete is 44% because Resource 2 didn't start working on the task until 5 days after the start of the task.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by nicholaswan Sunday, January 29, 2012 12:34 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:58 PM

All replies

• Nicholaswan,

It's down to how the numbers are computed. This described in Project's Help.  Also very useful would be to have a read of the relevant papers by Jim Aksel at http://www.msprojectblog.com/MSProjectTips.htm 

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Friday, January 27, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

The misunderstanding starts when you mention %Duration. This is something thet doesn't exist in Project. What exactly did you set to 50%?

Friday, January 27, 2012 8:27 AM
  • MS Project actually have two percent completes - duration and work.  You can keep them together or have them function separately.  If you mark a task 50% complete you are marking the duration and MSP also will mark the task 50% of the work is completed as well by default.   

You can keep the values together which is the default or separate them by adjusting an option.  See the article in the link below:

http://www.lehnertcs.com/pdfs/200812_ezine.pdf 

Best of luck

Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Hello Nicholas,

In addition to the other comments, % Complete (Duration) and % Work Complete (Work) can be different if there is a work contour on the task or if there are multiple resource assigned who many not work the entire duration.

In the picture below, the % complete is 50% - we have completed half of the original 15 day duration.  However the % Work complete is 44% because Resource 2 didn't start working on the task until 5 days after the start of the task.

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Marked as answer by nicholaswan Sunday, January 29, 2012 12:34 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:58 PM