Wrong password stored in XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am setting up a workgroup on XP Pro.  The workgroup connects to a Windos 7 Pro network.

I believe I entered and asked the XP Pro to REMEMBER the wrong password to access the shared drive.

So every time I try to login to the shared drive I am told I do not have permissions.

How do I stop my XP Pro from remembering the password?

Second part of the question, is the password the same as an authorized user name and password for the network?  Or a password specifically for the drive?  I ask this because I have password protection turned off at the moment.

Thanks

AS

Sunday, September 23, 2012 2:37 PM

All replies

• Try net use to delete the connection and recreate it with the correct password.  Report back.  Password should be from an account with access rights on the Windows 7 machine

NET USE [driveletter:] /DELETE

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/net_use.mspx?mfr=true

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter. If I've helped you and you want to show your gratitude, just click that green thingy.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Thanks.

How do I get to NET USE in XP?

Sunday, September 23, 2012 4:18 PM
  • net.exe is a command line tool, run it from cmd.exe.  Change it to match your drive letter.

start > Run > cmd.exe

NET USE Z: /DELETE

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter. If I've helped you and you want to show your gratitude, just click that green thingy.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:12 PM