Broken Downloads folder in Windows 7 Ultimate RRS feed

• General discussion

• How do you create a new Downloads folder that will have the location tab included?  I can always figure out how to get the other folders restored or recreated (My Documents, My Music, etc...), but the downloads folder does not behave the same way.  I will try to download a file and see if I can do it through IE 9 by designating a new folder under my profile to see if that does it, but could use some help if that fails.

If anyone has dealt with this recently, let me know the way!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:03 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

You may take a look at registry and check if the value is set as following:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Make sure that the registry name of Downloads folder should be {374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B} and the date is %USERPROFILE%Downloads.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

In the right pane of Shell Folders, right click on the {374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}, then click on Modify. Type in the full default path of the user folder, and click on OK. e.g. C:\Users\User-Name\Downloads

This issue may be caused user profile was corrupted, you may create a new user account and see if the issue persists.

If it works in a new user account then you need to fix the corrupt user profile. You may visit this link for the steps: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:39 AM