validation & routing warnings pointing to decommissioned Exch2003 servers RRS feed

• Question

• I have (finally) decommissioned my old Exch2003 servers, but I am (still) seeing the following warnings on my Exch2010 Hub/CAS servers:  (specific names changed to protect the innocent :-)

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchange ADAccess
    Date:          11/28/2011 7:49:54 AM
    Event ID:      2159
    Task Category: Validation
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      hcas02.domain.com
    Description:
    Process Microsoft.Exchange.RpcClientAccess.Service.exe (PID=2152). Configuration object CN=SMTP (Exch2k3virtsvr1),CN=Connections,CN=organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=corp,DC=dcname,DC=com read from dnsserver.domain.com failed validation and will be excluded from the result set.  Set event logging level for Validation category to Expert to get additional events about each failure.

Date:          11/28/2011 7:49:54 AM
    Event ID:      2159
    Task Category: Validation
    Level:         Warning
    Description:
    Process Microsoft.Exchange.RpcClientAccess.Service.exe (PID=2152). Configuration object CN=SMTP (Exch2k3virtsvr2),CN=Connections,CN=organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=corp,DC=dcname,DC=com read from dnsserver.domain.com failed validation and will be excluded from the result set.  Set event logging level for Validation category to Expert to get additional events about each failure.

Source:        MSExchangeTransport
    Date:          11/28/2011 7:48:43 AM
    Event ID:      5016
    Task Category: Routing
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    The Active Directory topology service could not discover any route to connector CN=Internet Mail Service (E2k3FE),CN=Connections,CN=domain,CN=Routing Groups,CN=domain,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=corp,DC=dcname,DC=com in the routing tables with the timestamp 11/28/2011 12:48:42 PM. This connector will not be used.

Event ID:      5015
    Description:
    Microsoft Exchange cannot find a route to the source transport server or home MTA server CN=Microsoft MTA\0ADEL:11e4e7ed-e0d0-43cc-932d-ef7db326ac77,CN=Deleted Objects,CN=Configuration,DC=corp,DC=dcname,DC=com for connector CN=Internet Mail Service (Ex2k2FE),CN=Connections,CN=domain,CN=Routing Groups,CN=domain,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=corp,DC=dcname,DC=com in routing tables with timestamp 11/28/2011 12:48:42 PM. Microsoft Exchange is ignoring the source transport server.

Event ID:      5016
    Description:
    The Active Directory topology service could not discover any route to connector CN=Internet Mail Service (Email),CN=Connections,CN=domain,CN=Routing Groups,CN=domain,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=corp,DC=dcname,DC=com in the routing tables with the timestamp 11/28/2011 12:48:42 PM. This connector will not be used.

Event ID:      5015
    Description:
    Microsoft Exchange cannot find a route to the source transport server or home MTA server CN=Microsoft MTA\0ADEL:0d2e08de-7f87-4535-8930-4918bd6f3378,CN=Deleted Objects,CN=Configuration,DC=corp,DC=dcname,DC=com for connector CN=Internet Mail Service (Email),CN=Connections,CN=domain,CN=Routing Groups,CN=domain,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=corp,DC=dcname,DC=com in routing tables with timestamp 11/28/2011 12:48:42 PM. Microsoft Exchange is ignoring the source transport server.

I had run the cmdlet for removing the routing group connector ("Get-RoutingGroupConnector | Remove-RoutingGroupConnector") prior to decommissioning the old Exch2003 boxes, so i'm not sure why I'm seeing the Routing warnings above. Exch2010 doesn't list any Exch2003 servers, so i'm not sure why it's still "looking" for any.

Advice please?

Monday, November 28, 2011 3:15 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply.

I did some more digging, and found this post:  "Exch 2010, Event ID's 5015 & 5016" (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrmigration/thread/9c1d5467-8a12-4033-b5f7-adda382e53ca/). The poster said he had found Send connectors related to his old/legacy system, and after removing them, the warning events disappeared.

I checked my Send Connectors tab, and indeed found 2 Send connectors that were related to the old Exchange 2003 servers. They had been invalidated (the address space changed), i remember i had done that a week or so prior, because we were trying to make sure no mail was being routed to the old servers.

Anyway, I've deleted the Send Connectors and am keeping an eye on the Event Logs to see if the warnings show up anymore. I'll post back tomorrow and let you know.

• Proposed as answer by Martina_Miskovic Monday, November 28, 2011 8:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by R.Milbrand Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by R.Milbrand Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by R.Milbrand Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:00 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:32 PM
  • As for the SMTP Errors (eventID:2161)
    Did you remove the objects in:
    CN=Connections,CN=organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=corp,DC=dcname,DC=com

If you still have Exchange System Manager installed somewhere, you could use "Exchange Tasks | Remove Exchange Attributes", to clean the attributes that I think is configured on the groups.

Exchange warns about ExchangeLegacyDN, because it finds that other exchange attributes has been configured but not that (for Exchange)  important one.
    Are you sure that proxyaddresses is not set?

Martina Miskovic - http://www.nic2012.com/
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:56 PM

All replies

• MSExchangeTransport
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2007/01/04/your-solutions-fix-exchange-2007-smtp-connectors-with-adsiedit.aspx

http://serverfault.com/questions/189648/how-do-i-fix-eventid-2159-on-my-exchange-2010-server

Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Lync Server 2010 | Windows Server 2008 | Skype: Exchange.Ranger | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Monday, November 28, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I did some more digging, and found this post:  "Exch 2010, Event ID's 5015 & 5016" (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrmigration/thread/9c1d5467-8a12-4033-b5f7-adda382e53ca/). The poster said he had found Send connectors related to his old/legacy system, and after removing them, the warning events disappeared.

I checked my Send Connectors tab, and indeed found 2 Send connectors that were related to the old Exchange 2003 servers. They had been invalidated (the address space changed), i remember i had done that a week or so prior, because we were trying to make sure no mail was being routed to the old servers.

Anyway, I've deleted the Send Connectors and am keeping an eye on the Event Logs to see if the warnings show up anymore. I'll post back tomorrow and let you know.

• Proposed as answer by Martina_Miskovic Monday, November 28, 2011 8:29 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:32 PM
  • ok, the routing errors/warnings (5015 & 5016) are gone, but still have the 2159 events.

Yesterday, I turned up the diagnostic logging level to Expert on the Validation category for the MSExchangeADAccess service, to see what it would turn up. This morning I had lots of recurring pairs of warnings: event ID 2161, immediately followed by event ID 2158, along with the 2159 events. Since they're all from the same source and task category, I figure they're related, and once I resolve the 2159 warnings these others will be cleared up as well.

The 2161 events look like this:

Process Microsoft.Exchange.AddressBook.Service.exe (PID=1920). Object CN=NPNUSERS,OU=Newport News Users,OU=Newport News,DC=corp,DC=org,DC=com read from DNS01.server.com failed validation. Attribute: ExchangeLegacyDN. Error message: You must provide a value for this property.. Invalid data: .

The 2158 events that follow the 2161 events basically are the same thing, only a little more generic - ending with:

"A partially valid object will be returned. Set event logging level for Validation category to Expert to get additional events about each failure."

All of these events reference groups that are NOT mail-enabled.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

Can you use offline address book when Outlook is running in Cached mode and find the newly created users (at least 1 day)? The  event 2161 means a user name NPNUSERS cannot be verified since the ExchangelegacyDN is invalid.

Based on my Event ID 2161 is a harmless warning that can be ignored. This issue is scheduled to be resolved in Exchange 2010 SP1. so please make sure you have applied the latest service pack for your Exchagne 2010 server.

Best Regards Fiona Liao E: v-fiolia@microsoft.com
    • Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:29 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:28 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Fiona.

Yes, the address book is working fine in Cached Exchange mode. Again, the items mentioned in the 2158 & 2161 warnings are all GROUPS that are NOT mail-enabled. (i've changed the diagnostic logging level on the MSExchangeADAccess/Validation back to Low, and these dont' show up anymore anyway)

As for the persistent 2159 warnings, I guess I just need to bite the bullet and do the ADSIedit thing to remove references to the old Exchange 2003 servers.

We'll be applying SP1 (and whatever post-SP1 roll-ups exist) sometime soon. After we do, i may turn up the diagnostic loggin on MSExchangeADAccess/Validation again just to see if the 2158 & 2161 warnings are indeed gone.

Thanks, all!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Hi R. Millbrand,
    Even if a group isn't mailenabled it could have some Exchange attributes with values assigned, like showInAddressBook,  mail, mailnickname, msExchPoliciesIncluded etc

Installing SP1 is a very good idea, but it will stop Process Microsoft.Exchange.AddressBook.Service.exe from creating those errors in event viewer and I don't think you should ignore them.

Instead use ADSIEdit or Attribute Editor in ADUC and check the groups and remove the values from the exchange attributes if you find they are populated (I think you will).

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 5:51 PM
  • UPDATE: I went into ADSIedit and checked for the old servers - THERE ARE NONE LISTED:

I also went thru a bunch of the 2161 warnings, and I believe I've pinpointed which 2 are causing the 2159 warnings to be listed: they point to SMTP objects that were associated with the old Exchange 2003 virtual servers (i had 2). The error message included in the 2161 events is: "Cannot calculate the value of property 'SourceRoutingGroup': cannot get the DN of depth -2 from DN..." Now how do I fix THAT?

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:05 PM
  • You should check if you have any routing group connectors left in Active Directory.
    Check in CN=Routing Groups\* in both Administrative Groups.

Did you check your groups for Exchange attributes?
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Martina -

The Routing Groups under CN=GFNET (from the old Exchange2003 system) lists "CN=Connections", but that is empty. The Routing Groups under CN=ExchangeAdminstrativeGroup(FYDIBOHF23SPDLT) {which is the new Exchange 2010 system} lists "CN=Connections", with 2 items: CN=Internet Mail, and CN=Text Messaging - both of which appear to be legit and have no reference in their properties to the old Exchange 2003 SMTP objects.

As for checking my groups that are throwing the 2161 warnings, I have a list of at least 77 that I would need to check. Are you saying that if they have ANY Exchange attributes, they should be empty? (there should be a better way to to check for this stuff, rather than one at a time in ADSI edit or ADUC's Attribute Editor - I  may have a lot more than 77; that's just where I stopped going thru the 2161 events, mainly because there were a lot of repeats)

Just for kicks, I did use ADUC/Attribute Editor to check for Exchange attributes on one of the groups - all the "msExch" attributes were set to "<not set>", and although the 2161 warning specifically mentions an attribute called "ExchangeLegacyDN", there is no such thing. I found one called "legacyExchangeDN", but that is also set to "<not set>".

I appreciate your help on this - any other suggestions?

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:37 PM
  • As for the SMTP Errors (eventID:2161)
    Did you remove the objects in:
    CN=Connections,CN=organization,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=corp,DC=dcname,DC=com

If you still have Exchange System Manager installed somewhere, you could use "Exchange Tasks | Remove Exchange Attributes", to clean the attributes that I think is configured on the groups.

Exchange warns about ExchangeLegacyDN, because it finds that other exchange attributes has been configured but not that (for Exchange)  important one.
    Are you sure that proxyaddresses is not set?

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:56 PM
  • just checked:

And there they are - the SMTP objects pointing to the old Exchange 2003 virtual servers. What the heck are they (still) doing there? Why didn't any of the steps for decommissioning the Exchange 2003 servers remove them from here? (if removing them fixes this, I think I'm going to get in touch with Neil Hobson and let him know about it - I saw a post from him somewhere stating he'd heard from someone reporting these 2159 warnings after decommissioning Exch2003, but didn't have an answer for him)

I'm going to get with my infrastructure/network team tomorrow and get these backed up before I delete them, just in case something (heaven forbid) quits working properly as a result.

Now back to the 2161 warnings: I spoke with my manager, and we've decided that since these apparently are not critical, and that SP1 supresses them, we're going to not worry about them. SP1 will be applied QTR1 (after we upgrade VMware).

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Let us know if removing those objects helps or not. I'm pretty sure it should.
    Those are not needed for Exchange 2010 and in fact in a clean EX10 enviroment, that folder is empty.

I don't think Exchange 2010 SP1 will supress them, so If I were were I would get rid of them (I like clean logs)

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:33 PM
  • sorry i haven't updated this post for a couple of days.

Got AD backed up and removed those 2 objects - i'll check things in the morning to see if my 2159 & 2161 warnings have gone away. (fingers crossed!)

-RAM

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 7:19 PM
  • ok - the 2159 warnings have gone away. YAY!

I turned up diagnostic logging on MSADAccess\Validation to High for a while, to see if the 2161/2158 warnings were still happening, and they are. But we've decided they aren't a priority. Setting the logging back to Low (default).

Thanks for the assist, Martina et al!

-RAM

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:00 PM
  • ok - the 2159 warnings have gone away. YAY!

I turned up diagnostic logging on MSADAccess\Validation to High for a while, to see if the 2161/2158 warnings were still happening, and they are. But we've decided they aren't a priority. Setting the logging back to Low (default).

Thanks for the assist, Martina et al!

-RAM

I guess YAY is the word :)
    Thanks for the update R.Millbrand.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:21 PM