none
USMT not restoring MIG file correctly on new deployment. RRS feed

• Question

• USMT not restoring MIG file correctly on new deployment.

My MDT task sequence to restore data in USMT is not behaving as expected.

I am able to run an ad hoc clientreplace task sequence on an existing install of Windows 7 to generate a %OSDComputerName%.MIG file in an accessible share on my MDT server. I then run a clientdeploy task sequence to install Windows 10.

However, when the OS deployment sequence restores data, what I find is that the data is unpacked and dumped to c:\statestore\USMT\... on the Windows 10 install instead of restored to the OS as app data and profiles. I feel like I'm pretty close since the data is actually being copied to the new install. I need to get the user profile creation and data restore sorted.  

Would anyone be willing to walk through some troubleshooting steps with me on this? My goal is to have profile data only for both local and domain accounts on the source install backed up with USMT, then the profiles created on the new deployment and data transferred on the new OS install. 

Monday, March 26, 2018 5:27 PM

All replies

• Bump.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:51 PM
  • Check your USMT settings in customsettings.ini? Do you have custom XML files with rules that relocate data to that specific folder?

This might help you out Refresh a Windows 7 computer with Windows 10

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 6:30 PM
  • Thank you Daniel.

I defined migapp.xml and miguser.xml in the customsettings.ini since this was outlined in the documentation (I have been using this guide), but I didn't alter the xml files. I assumed these were using default definitions as the files already existed in the USMT folder. I did adopt the environment though and it's possible these were changed. I'll go through and review both files now. My settings.ini looks like this:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipBitLocker=YES

;USMT

UserExit=UserExit.vbs
    OSDComputerName=#GetOfflineComputername()#
    UserDataLocation=NETWORK
    UDShare=\\wds02v\USMT
    UDDir=%OSDComputerName% <--- (this is defined in the userexit.vbs)
    ScanStateArgs=/v:5 /o /c
    USMTMigFiles001=MigApp.xml
    USMTMigFiles002=MigUser.xml
    LoadStateArgs=/v:5 /c /lac

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 3:20 PM
  • That particular guide doesn't take into consideration you're using MDT so you don't need to define the default rules for USMT. Now if you created custom xml files, then you would need to define the default and custom rules.

Example:

ScanStateArgs=/v:5 /o /c /ue:*\administrator /localonly
    LoadStateArgs=/v:5 /c /lac /lae
    USMTMigFiles003=CustomUser.xml
    USMTMigFiles004=CustomApp.xml

FYI You don't need to list the xml files twice or in your case at all.

Daniel Vega

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 3:32 PM