Skype for Business Click to Call Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of rolling out SfB and have noticed that for most of our Windows 10 laptops, Click to Call stopped adding icons on web pages as soon as we upgraded the client from Lync 2010 to a newer version of Skype for Business. I have checked the Add-ons and that Click to Call is enabled in the Tools menu and followed various troubleshooting steps found on the web. But, on some systems I cannot get the OCHelper.dll file to parse links and get the click to call icon to work. (On a couple sytems I am able to do so. I cannot find any pattern in why it's working for some systems and not others).

Has anyone faced this issue and resolved it? I'm at wit's end here.

Monday, February 6, 2017 8:40 PM

Answers

• Microsoft Product Support helped us find the answer. On the systems where Skype for Business Click to Call was not working, we found that a registry key was missing. To resolve the issue in our environment, we enabled a Group Policy preference: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Enable Browser Extensions. Action was set to Update with a Value type of REG_SZ and a Value data of "yes".
    • Marked as answer by TPotterOK Friday, March 31, 2017 4:54 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi TPotterOK,

What browser did you use (IE or Chrome), and what’s your browser’s version?

As you said, you could use click to call on some system, so please try to do a clean boot on your computer and make sure your windows 10 system with the latest update.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If the OCHelper.dll is missing, it may cause the issue, so please check if this file is exist in the affected computer.

You could try to re-enable click to call in your browser.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:04 AM
  • I am testing with Internet Explorer, version 11.576.14393.0 (update versions: 11.0.38 (KB3203621)). I have checked and OCHelper.dll is not missing. I have tried disabling and re-enabling the Click to Call add-on.

I'll perform a clean boot on the system where Click to Call is not working and report back.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:27 PM
  • I tested with clean boot on the computer and that made no difference. Click to Call is still not working.
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 4:27 PM
  • More testing complete. Still no clue. I compared the registry entries between two systems, one of which has click to call working and one that does not. I found no registry differences. Also, I check the EnableBHOSmartTags DWORD value and it was set to 1 in both places it needed to be. Finally, I used group policy to enable the Skype for Business Click to Call add-on and rebooted by system. Still no joy.

I'm pretty much stymied at this point. Any other suggestions?

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:00 PM
  • Hi TPotterOK,

For this issue, please test with Chrome and check if there is the same issue.

Regards,

Alice Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, February 13, 2017 9:53 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 9:52 AM
  • I checked using Chrome and there is no automatic formatting of TEL URI's. The Skype extension for Chrome works with consumer Skype, not Skype for Business. So, installing that extension did not help.
    Monday, February 13, 2017 3:55 PM
  • Hi TPotterOK,

I noticed that you upgrade to SFB client from Lync 2010 client, then the click to call not working.
    If possible, please try to reinstall the SFB client. When you install Lync, it will also install two IE add-ons:  Lync Browser Helper and Lync add-on.
    The following blog is for your reference
    http://ucken.blogspot.sg/2010/09/lync-click-to-call-in-internet-explorer.html

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Friday, February 17, 2017 2:16 AM
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. I reinstalled Skype for Business, checked the Lync Browser helper and Lync click to call add-ons (they were enabled) and checked the click to call settings (Tools > Skype Click to Call). But, still the click to call feature was not working. We've opened a case with Microsoft Product Support. I'll report back if we get a resolution.
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 5:43 AM
  • Hi TPotterOK,

Thanks for your response.

We are looking forward for your reply.

Regards,

Alice Wang

Monday, February 20, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Microsoft Product Support helped us find the answer. On the systems where Skype for Business Click to Call was not working, we found that a registry key was missing. To resolve the issue in our environment, we enabled a Group Policy preference: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Enable Browser Extensions. Action was set to Update with a Value type of REG_SZ and a Value data of "yes".
    • Marked as answer by TPotterOK Friday, March 31, 2017 4:54 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 4:54 PM