App-V issues with Appdata re-direction via GPO RRS feed

• Question

• fairly new to packaging and we are looking to deploy as many as possible of our applications vis app-v, so apologies if this question has already been raised and answered before:

We have set via a Group Policy folder redirection for Appdata, Desktop, My Documents, Start Menu to a central server.  Originally we had problems with App-V not publishing shortcuts and menu items with the re-direction which were resolved by upgrading the client to version 4.5.1.15580.  However this didn't resolve the problem with the Appdata folder.

The problem is that items on the Q drive that refer to the virtual documents and settings\username\application data folder are ignored and we get an error message saying failed to open : \\servername\serverpath\username\application data\appname\folder\xxx.lhl

If we turn off Appdata re-direction it works fine.  It would appear that the Group Policy is deciding that anything on the virtual drive for Appdata is pointed to the central stortage.

Is there a workaround for this?

Any help greatfully received.

Friday, October 16, 2009 11:34 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Did you have the policy applied when you sequenced the application?

It may be that the _application_ doesn't like the redirection, even though app-v can handle it just fine.... (never redirected appdata as it was causing to many issues)

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:44 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Well, I am not certain what you strive for but if you do not wish to utilize the redirected %APPDATA% for storing the virtual application settings file, this could be set using the file system tab on the client for something you find appropiate.

/Znack
    Friday, October 16, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Hello,

Well, I am not certain what you strive for but if you do not wish to utilize the redirected %APPDATA% for storing the virtual application settings file, this could be set using the file system tab on the client for something you find appropiate.

/Znack

Znack,

Wow quick response. 

I may not be explaining this very well, but we do want to ideally use redirection to allow a more hot desking approach.

The problem is with Appdata redirection turned on, this appplication that we sequenced will not launch properly as it looks for the file on the server and doesn't want to look on the Q drive.  (The files not not reside on the C drive at all).  With the re-direct policy turned off the application launches fine as presumably it decides it will look on the virtual appdata folder on the Q drive.  It seems to me that the Group Policy is translating the Appdata for both C drive and virtual (Q) to be the server path and deciding if it is not there do not check the virtual drives Appdata path.

John
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:12 PM
  • Hello,

Did you have the policy applied when you sequenced the application?

It may be that the _application_ doesn't like the redirection, even though app-v can handle it just fine.... (never redirected appdata as it was causing to many issues)

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:44 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:20 PM
  • Znack,

No we didn't have policy applied.  We are sequencing on virtual machines that we do not log into the domain (where possible).

I'll give it a go sequencing with the policy applied and see how it goes and report back.

(I read some articles on softgridguru.com saying that Appdata re-direction causes issues but this is the first one we've discovered though)

Friday, October 16, 2009 12:46 PM
  • Znack,

Have upgraded Client, Sequencer and Management Console to version 4.5.1.15580 but still have the same problems with the Appdata re-direction. 

I've found a work around for this application by forcing the items normally saved in the profiles appdata path to be another folder in the Q drive.  However, I can forsee problems with applications that put things into the Application Data folder of the user's profile by default at capture.  It seems strange that Microsoft don't have a solution for this problem?

John

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Hello,

Ehm, I would still say that the problem lies with the application, not app-v.

I really didn't mention anything about upgrading client or sequencer, but thats always a good check.

Did you resequence with the appdata-redirection? How does the application behaved if installed natively with appdata-redirection?

/Znack
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:35 PM