none
DPM 2010 with Multi tenancy SharePoint Farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm looking for information about item level restore (using DPM 2010) on a SharePoint farm which is configured for multi tenancy.

- Is it possible to do that?
    - are there any issues i need to be aware off?

Protecting a 'normal' SharePoint farm with DPM2010 is no problem for me.

Thanks in advance

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am no SharePoint expert so I might miss things - but we are backing up SharePoint 2010 using DPM and in our SharePoint environment we have different customers each with their own features/templates running which are not globally available. So if you mean something like that then it works. I guess the reason is that mainly DPM is not SharePoint aware enough to care about it. So yes I recovered files.

Regardings issues - the issues you have for a "normal" SharePoint environment were also true for multi tenancy. During my recvoery tests I did not encounter anyhting additional.

But as said I am no SharePoint expert and what you might understand something else under multi tenancy then what I tested in our environment.

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Hi Sroe,

thanks for the information, but does not reall answer my question.

Multi-tenancy is SharePoint is that the url for an site is set at Site Collection Level instead of Web Application level (among other things).
    Also service applications are partitioned, so that information of all curstomer is stored within the same database of a service application without customers being able to access the customers data.

I'll continue testing and let you know the answer.

Monday, September 26, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Hi Sroe,

thanks for the information, but does not reall answer my question.

Multi-tenancy is SharePoint is that the url for an site is set at Site Collection Level instead of Web Application level (among other things).
    Also service applications are partitioned, so that information of all curstomer is stored within the same database of a service application without customers being able to access the customers data.

I'll continue testing and let you know the answer.

Hi Maurice,

DPM native protection of SharePoint 2010 gets the content data bases and the admin data bases. It does not protect the search data bases or other service application data bases. You will need to protect those on your SQL instance by going and selecting them individually. I am not an expert at SharePoint multi-tenancy but I do understand it to a point.

I believe that if you protect your content DB's, application DB's, all IIS components on the WFE's and AD that you should be all set.

Hope that helps.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 7:16 AM