Populating Lists in SharePoint 2007 from Global Access List RRS feed

• Question

• PLATFORM:  SharePoint 2007, can only use out of box functions, use of SharePoint Designer prohibited.

GOAL:  Provide a list of organization members (about 350) which is populated by the Global Access Listing (GAL).   Each member is manually added or removed from the list as they arrive or depart the organization.  All individual information is retrieved from the GAL except for a current status field populated by drop box options (Present, Vacation, Temporary Duty).  The expected result is a list sortable by LAST NAME, DEPARTMENT, OFFICE, or STATUS.

PROBLEM: Each column (Last Name, Department, Office) requires an information type of “Person or Group” which is then filtered by the additional column setting show field as Last Name, Department, Office, respectively.  The result of this solution is when each person is added to the list, the person’s name has to be typed in 3 times and [ctrl-k]’d for look up.  There should be a way these fields can be populated from one entry.

ATTEMPTED WORKAROUND:  Tried using the information type of “Lookup”, but it will not allow the selection of the “Person or Group” column. 

Thanks,

HVH

HVH

Friday, May 4, 2012 4:21 PM

Answers

• hi,

there is a problem with update user scenario. What will happen in your solution if user's attributes will be changed in AD? Data in your list will be outdated until user's info won't be updated in User information list in Sharepoint. After that you still have to go to your custom list and manually update all fields for your user. With many users it will be hard to maintain. Keeping it in mind it may be better to create custom list with only one field of type "Person or Group" and show all other fields in custom web part using SPGridView control which supports sorting. It will require development, but will allow to avoid problem with synchronization of changes.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    CAML via C# - http://camlex.codeplex.com

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:03 PM

All replies

• Just to avoid further confusion, can you explain what is "Global Access Listing (GAL)"? Is that a term you're using here? I've never heard of that however there is "Global Address List (GAL)", which is a feature of Microsoft Exchange. Are we on the same page?

From your goal, it sounds like you need to manage a custom/contact list that has information of employees. But the problem sounds confusing. The "Person or Group" information type comes from the settings of the field. What kind of List is this? How are the fields/columns configured?

BTW, do you not have Active Directory that synchronizes with SharePoint?

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Friday, May 4, 2012 11:59 PM
  • Hi,

It requires OOB customization. If your GAL is within the sharepoint to populate data you can first create a template of it and can use to create your new list. Then for further synchronizations you can use sharepoint designer workflows for the same.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Sunday, May 6, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  Too many acronymns in my head.  Yes the Global Address List (GAL) from active directory is what I was refering to. 

The intent of the list is to take thousands of names in the GAL and pair them down to the 350 names needed for daily reference.  All information should come form the GAL except for one field which is changable (Work Status: present, away, sick, etc...)

Right now the list has 7 columns with the rows being the individual names.  The 7 columns break down as follows:

Name (TYPE: Person or Group; SHOW FIELD: Name (with presence))

Status (TYPE: Choice)

Work Center (TYPE: Person or Group; SHOW FIELD: Office))

Job Title (TYPE: Person or Group; SHOW FIELD: Title))

Phone (TYPE: Person of Group; SHOW FIELD: Work Phone))

Modified by (SharePoint tool)

Modified date (SharePoint tool)

The problem is for each Person or Group Type, the person's name must be typed in and [ctrl-k]'d several times for this list to work.  It seems, there should be a way to access the person once, then extract the GAL data into the individual columns without having to put in the name four times.

Thank you for your help.

HVH

HVH

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Thank you sir.  I haven't even considered using templates, I'll give it a try and get back to you and let you know if it works out.

Thanks,

HVH

HVH

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:31 PM
  • Tried creating a template on the live site, but my permissions aren't sufficient and the admin is on holiday for another week.  If time permits, I'll build a SharePoint lab at home and see if I can get templates to work.

v/r,

HVH

HVH

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:21 PM
  • hi,

there is a problem with update user scenario. What will happen in your solution if user's attributes will be changed in AD? Data in your list will be outdated until user's info won't be updated in User information list in Sharepoint. After that you still have to go to your custom list and manually update all fields for your user. With many users it will be hard to maintain. Keeping it in mind it may be better to create custom list with only one field of type "Person or Group" and show all other fields in custom web part using SPGridView control which supports sorting. It will require development, but will allow to avoid problem with synchronization of changes.

Blog - http://sadomovalex.blogspot.com
    CAML via C# - http://camlex.codeplex.com

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:03 PM
  • I'm assuming that you already have your SharePoint configured to import all users from Active Directory and it's setup to synchronize. And all of your users are already in your SharePoint's user profile. Did I get that right? If not, I believe this is probably how it should be setup.

Now you're creating a custom list of 350 users that are selected from the existing users in SharePoint. I know this is your goal, but I think this may not be the right approach. Basically, you're duplicating information and not to mention you'll have to worry about having the list maintained/synchronized. What happens if one of these 350 user's info is updated/deleted in AD and then it synchronizes with SharePoint user profile?

Do you mind explaining what the purpose is for this custom list? You could use web service to query SharePoint's user profile list and display all the info in a dataview webpart. This way you don't need any custom list and you're getting info that are coming from Active Directory (after it was synchronized with SharePoint).

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Friday, May 11, 2012 12:52 AM