none
DPM 2012 R2 - Item Level Recovery error when Descending into a .VHDX RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

There are very similar questions to this one but none that are exactly the same issues I am having

I am running DPM 2012 R2 on a Physical Windows Server 2012 Datacenter host. All is well and backups are rocking!

the problem that I am having is with the item level recovery function when dealing with Hyper -V. I am performing Child partition snapshots from the host using the DPM agent. When I try to recover a VM with a .VHD as its hard disk I can perform ILR, but when I try to recovery a VM with a .VHDX as its hard disk I get the standard error about ensuring hyper-v is installed(which it is), and ensuring auto mounting is enabled with mountvol (which it is). I can run VMs on my DPM server with vhdx files but I cannot get DPM to descend into the VHDX files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time!

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:20 PM

Answers

• I have found the solution. When performing child partition snapshots of your virtual machines with the dpm agent being installed on your hyper v host, ensure there are no DVDs or isos in your disk drive. You will not be able to perform ILR on this virtual machine. DPM thinks the disc is a dynamic disk and presto! No item level recovery. Cheers.
    • Marked as answer by HYPERV-MAN Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:08 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:08 PM