Behavior when you "reply" mail after you changed an address of contacts on Outlook 2013 (Is this bug or not?) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I have found strange behavior around "reply" mail on Outlook 2013.

[Reproduction Step]

1. Add an address into contact. (for example, Mr.A <mr_a@example.com>)

2. send mail to Mr.A.

3. Update the contact which you made at step 1 into Mr.B <mr_b@example.com>

4. Reply the mail which you sent at step 2.

[Issue]

i. On "To:" box, "Mr.A<mr_a@example.com>" will be displayed.

ii. But if you sent the mail actually, it will send to "Mr.B <mr_b@example.com>".

Dew to this behavior, my customer sent very important mail to wrong address.

They are asking us whether it is a bug of OutLook 2013 or not.

Regards.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>>In step 4, I actually clicked "Reply All" button of the sent mail in the Sent Items. Not "Reply".

When I tested with "Reply All" I could reproduce this issue in both Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016. I cannot confirm whether this is a limitation or expected behavior as it happens in both versions and there is no documentation stating this.

I'd recommend you avoid modifying existing contacts and create a new one or Mr. B or try clicking Reply button and manually enter the recipient address.

In addition, you can submit a feedback about this issue via the UserVoice forum, which is the most direct channel out product team utilizes to collect feedback and ideas from our customers.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, February 17, 2017 9:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tetsuya Zama Monday, February 20, 2017 1:45 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:44 AM

All replies

• Could you provide the build number of your Outlook 2013? Make sure your Outlook is up-to-date.

BR

FranklinJ

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

The build number of my Outlook is 15.0.4793.1003 .

We don't use auto-update due to our company's policy.

I will sound out our Office365 administrators about updating Office365 suites.

Thank you.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Hi Tetsuya,

>> 4. Reply the mail which you sent at step 2.

In step 4, did you reply to the sent mail in the Sent Items folder or reply to the message that Mr. A sent back to you?

When I try to reply to the sent mail, my own email address will appear in the To filed.

While trying to reply to the respond message, it was sent correctly to the correct recipient (Mr. A in your case).

I'd like to know how did you select the contact when composing the message? Did you click the To button and selected it in your Contacts folder or did selected it from the auto-complete entry?

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 6:43 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry for my mistake.

In step 4, I actually clicked "Reply All" button of the sent mail in the Sent Items. Not "Reply".

When I sent mail, I clicked the "To" button and selected Mr.A in Contact Folder. I did't use auto-complete.

Regards.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

>>In step 4, I actually clicked "Reply All" button of the sent mail in the Sent Items. Not "Reply".

When I tested with "Reply All" I could reproduce this issue in both Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016. I cannot confirm whether this is a limitation or expected behavior as it happens in both versions and there is no documentation stating this.

I'd recommend you avoid modifying existing contacts and create a new one or Mr. B or try clicking Reply button and manually enter the recipient address.

In addition, you can submit a feedback about this issue via the UserVoice forum, which is the most direct channel out product team utilizes to collect feedback and ideas from our customers.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, February 17, 2017 9:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tetsuya Zama Monday, February 20, 2017 1:45 AM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:44 AM
  • Hi,Steve.

Thank you for your reply.
    I'll share your answer with my stakeholders and have some discussion with them about this issue.

Regards.
    Monday, February 20, 2017 1:50 AM