Sharing the DP, should I limit for ahow long? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very simple migration, one primary two DP. We started working on the migratin items, and I want to share the DP between 2007 and 2012, however I am not clear if this can be done for a long period of time, or should it be done for the duration of package migration only? We plan on shutting down the 2007 within a month, and wanted to have the DP shared for the entire duration of theis time.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:55 PM

Answers

• I'm not aware of any specific limitation regarding how long a shared DP should remain in place, but its probably to your advantage to keep the time to a minimum, just so you don't have to deal with supporting both a 2007 and 2012 site.  I would imagine your 1 month time frame would be fine - what's important is making sure your new DP is functioning as expected (clients in the new hierarchy can find and install their packages) and that you haven't missed any metadata or content in the migration.

Bob Edwards SDET, Microsoft Corporation SCCM PVT, STRESS, and Performance consultant

• Proposed as answer by Justin Chalfant Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Adam F Kings Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:45 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:27 PM

All replies

• You should be fine sharing your DPs until the 2007 site is removed.

Justin Chalfant | Blog: setupconfigmgr.com | SCUP Catalog: patchmypc.net/scup | Please mark as helpful/answer if this resovled your issue

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:18 PM
  • I'm not aware of any specific limitation regarding how long a shared DP should remain in place, but its probably to your advantage to keep the time to a minimum, just so you don't have to deal with supporting both a 2007 and 2012 site.  I would imagine your 1 month time frame would be fine - what's important is making sure your new DP is functioning as expected (clients in the new hierarchy can find and install their packages) and that you haven't missed any metadata or content in the migration.

Bob Edwards SDET, Microsoft Corporation SCCM PVT, STRESS, and Performance consultant

• Proposed as answer by Justin Chalfant Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Adam F Kings Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:45 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2013 9:27 PM