Cannot open some links RRS feed

• Question

• I clicked a bad page the other day and installed some malware. I [carefully] removed them manually, but perhaps I deleted a wrong registry key. Anyway, I'm left a little bit lame as I cannot open some links or pages, and I cannot restore previous versions of Windows.

Win 7 home
    IE 11

Issues:
    ------------------
    1. Wikipedia .png images will not respond at all to a left-click. I can open them by right-clicking.

2.  wordpress.com the reader link and a few other links hang. 

generates the error Line: 4235
    == Error: The system cannot find the file specified.

The line of code is ... if( !window.localStorage ){

3. System restore would not restore previous versions. It was unchecked in system, and I have since re-enabled it and allocated space. I have not tested it.

actions performed:
    ---------------------
    - Googled for a day and a half
    - tried re-registering dlls
    - checked file associations
    - reset security and settings in IE
    - ran IE with no add ons
    - ran IE in safe mode
    - rolled back to IE 10 and reinstalled IE 11 (with much pain with failing updates needing manual uninstallations)

I am now at a loss at what to try next for the IE issues. Any help or ideas will be appreciated. I'd rather not reinstall or upgrade right now.

Thanks

John

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Power Unit.

Considering the machine has been injected by some malware,I suggested you to perform a full scan with the antivirus software in safe mode to have a double check .

According to your description ,it seems that there is something wrong with system files.We can run "sfc /scannow"to have a health check of the system files.

I noticed you have tried to reinstall the Internet Explorer 11 .How did you do that ?
    We can run the following command line to uninstall the Internet Explorer 11 and then download it to install it .
    "FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart"

Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx

If the issue persists ,we may need to do a in-place upgrade to have a repair .We may lose some configurations.Here is a link for reference :
    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2255099
    Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:21 AM
  • Thanks.

I had run sfc /scannow previously with no errors found. 
    Ran again and found no resource violations.

I uninstalled internet explorer 11 via control panel/ programs and features.

I'll get back in a day or six ;)

Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:56 AM
  • Hi Power,

How about the issue? Is there anything to update?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:38 AM