none
Problem with Project corrupting the files RRS feed

• Question

• Really hoping someone can help.

I have this problem on 2 different machines and have it using both Project 2010 and 2013.

When working for many many hours and saving periodically, i suddenly get the following message:

"Project cannot access the file.

Try one of the following:

- The file may be opened......etc etc"

The i save again and sometimes i get a new message.

"The File cannot be opened.

-check the file name and path are correct.

etc etc"

I now save in a different name (and sometimes format)

Now when i open the file, its completely corrupted. Tasks duplicated, some re-order, random predecessors are created etc.

I have no idea what to do and how to prevent this. Its spurious and random and is driving both myself and project director crazy.

Thought 2013 would solve the problem, but sadly it has not.

File is being saved onto a server, and i was wondering if that could be the cause?

Kind regards

Roddy

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

• Roddy,

It sounds like your connection to the server is not very reliable. Yes, glitches over a network can certainly corrupt a Project file of any version. Do you have a problem if you save the file to your local hard drive?

When Project 2010 was first released there were several issues with saving and opening Project files from different versions. I think most of that has been resolved with service pack releases. However, Project 2013 may be suffering from similar problems but I have no evidence to back that up. Make sure you have SP1 installed for Project 2010.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:54 PM

All replies

• Roddy,

It sounds like your connection to the server is not very reliable. Yes, glitches over a network can certainly corrupt a Project file of any version. Do you have a problem if you save the file to your local hard drive?

When Project 2010 was first released there were several issues with saving and opening Project files from different versions. I think most of that has been resolved with service pack releases. However, Project 2013 may be suffering from similar problems but I have no evidence to back that up. Make sure you have SP1 installed for Project 2010.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Thanks John.

I will give this a try. The network is pretty good, but i am using wireless to get to the server and this may well cause some instability.

What confuses me is that the file still opens. It just duplicates half the lines.

Will let you know it goes though.

Thanks Roddy

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:53 PM
  • Roddy,'

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:32 PM