Desktop won't allow me to click anything. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a PC with an i7 7820x, 1080 Ti Gaming X Trio, 32GB of Crucial BallistX RAM, and a 512GB WD Blue M.2 SSD on an EVGA X299 Micro board. As the title states, I am not able to click anything on the taskbar, or use the windows logo or the "type here to search" box. I could open all applications in my taskbar except for Forza Horizon 3. I tried restarting my PC, but the same error ocurred. I saw an article online of a guy with the same problem. A mod said to go to task manager, end the task "windows explorer" and then run explorer.exe as a new task in task manager. I followed those steps, but now my taskbar is blank except for ther windows stuff, and a little icon next to that. Also, the wallpaper is blank. Please help!
    Sunday, July 29, 2018 2:12 PM

All replies

• You could run the System File Checker tool.

Open the command prompt window as Administrator.

Type the following command and press Enter.

sfc /scannow

You will find more information here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Sunday, July 29, 2018 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

Try to boot into Safe Mode to check if the issue still insists.

Then perform a clean boot and temporarily turn off security software to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Then use “sfc /scannow” to repair system files.

Update the video driver from the manufacturer's official website.

Or you could create a new user account.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 30, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Perform the following steps:

1) open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

2) sfc /scannow

3) chkdsk /scan

4) net user /test add

5) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

6) shutdown /r

7) When the computer reboots sign on with the new user named test

8) report into the thread the responses using the task bar with each user

Monday, July 30, 2018 5:48 AM