Blue Screen fix? - ntoskrnl.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I used to have blue screen problems that said DRIVER_POWER_STATE or something like that, but since I isolated that to my USB 3.0 driver, I uninstalled that driver and it got rid of that problem.  Now I have another one though, and I think it was around at the same time as the driver problem, I just didn't think to fix it.

I get this blue screen whenever I leave my computer open for a long time (over 12 hours at a time on hibernate), and then try to shut down.  It takes about 3 minutes on the shutdown screen, then it blue screens on me with the new message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.  I don't know what this means, but I went to BlueScreenView and I saw that the problem was with ntoskrnl.exe.  This looks like it is part of the operating system, so I have no idea how I could fix this.  Could anyone please help?

Here is my minidump file:  http://www.sendspace.com/file/219les

Please download it tell me what my problem is?  I really have no idea what it could be.  Oh yeah and I ran the windows memory check and it said my memory is all fine, so it's probably not that.

EDIT:  I also forgot to say that when I do leave my system on hibernate for a long period of time, I come back to resume windows and find that the a process on task manager called "System" is using up a constant 13% of my processor.  Since "System" refers to the operating system, I can't just stop the process.  Its happening to me right now because I put it on hibernate last night, and now I know that as soon as I either press Shut Down or Restart, my computer is going to get stuck at the shut down page and then give me the Blue Screen... :(

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After checking this dump file, this corrupt could be caused by the RAMDiskVE.sys file:

BugCheck A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)

An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses.

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\RAMDiskVE.sys

I suggest you check the RAMDiskVE.sys file, if it is possible, please update the related driver.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:40 AM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:18 AM
  • Hi,

This would be a third-party driver, you may right click this file to check the Properties of this file, you could find detailed information about this file, and then you could contact the software manufacturer to get help on how to update this driver.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 15, 2011 1:17 AM

All replies

• Does this work?

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=59a8e4f32367569e&sc=documents&uc=1&id=59A8E4F32367569E%21106#!/?cid=59a8e4f32367569e&sc=documents&nl=1&uc=1&id=59A8E4F32367569E%21108!cid=59A8E4F32367569E&id=59A8E4F32367569E%21108

I am new to skydrive, all I did was upload the file to "My Documents" on skydrive and gave you the link to that folder.  If thats not how I share files on skydrive, please tell me how.

EDIT:  I edited the link because it directed to "My Documents" which I noticed was not public.  I created a public folder and put the file in there, so you should e able to download it now.  Please look at it and tell me what's wrong.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:42 AM
  • Hi,

After checking this dump file, this corrupt could be caused by the RAMDiskVE.sys file:

BugCheck A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)

An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses.

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\RAMDiskVE.sys

I suggest you check the RAMDiskVE.sys file, if it is possible, please update the related driver.

Alex Zhao

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:18 AM
  • I found the file you were referring to, but I don't know how to update it.  I rely on my Ramdisk to run a Minecraft server extremely fast (runs the data through ram instead of the hard drive so it is much faster writing and reading speeds), so I don't want to get rid of the program, I would rather fix it.
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:43 PM
  • A Ramdisk isn't a solid state drive.  Well, I guess it is kind of like one because it doesn't use a disk, but still I don't see how that article is supposed to help me solve my problem.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:23 PM
  • Hi,

This would be a third-party driver, you may right click this file to check the Properties of this file, you could find detailed information about this file, and then you could contact the software manufacturer to get help on how to update this driver.

Alex Zhao

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:17 AM