none
How safe is to move a Cluster Shared Volume to another CSV larger in capacity Server 2012 r2

Question

• Hello Sys Admin World,

I configured a few months back a new Dell Storage and 4 VM hosts.  I build 4 (2TB) vdisk and attached them individually to my 4 virtual hosts, but didn't realize and under the server disk manager I didn't select GPT when initialized and they couldn't grew to more than 2TB's.  Therefore VDiskN1 is the current 2TB and another small disk is the disk witness.  I now have a new 4TB Cluster disk and also another small disk to be new disk witness.  I would like to know if anyone have any experience on moving a cluster shared volume to another cluster shared volume? and then having it as the disk witness?  I would not like to lose any of the VM's.

I know that if you right click the (Full) cluster disk > Select Move > Select Node > and then select the node and click OK, seems like the way to go.

I perhaps will also turn off all of the vm's and then execute the move.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike

Monday, March 06, 2017 7:41 PM

All replies

• Not sure what you mean when you are asking about moving one CSV to another CSV.  They are simply disks.  Do you mean that you want to copy the contents?  It sounds like you are running this as a Hyper-V cluster.  You can use the move storage option on each VM to move all the VM storage from one location to another.  This is a live migration capability, so you do not need to turn the VM off.  I would only try moving one or two at a time.

As for the disk witness, you never need more than 1GB of storage for a disk witness.  In fact, they need only be 512 MB, but many storage systems can't create disks that small anymore, so I just settle on a 1GB volume.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Monday, March 06, 2017 8:40 PM
  • Hello and thank you for your reply.

Yes, this is a server 2k12 r2 cluster.  I have 1 vm host with 2TB of storage, which happens to be almost full.  I would like to bring all of the VM's that are currently inside a folder named "Cluster" inside VDsikN1 on to host VDiskN2, which is now a 4TB CSV.  Question: when I build the cluster the folder "Cluster" it's only showing on VDiskN1 and not on any of the other 3 VM host, If I do what you're suggesting I would assume I have to create that same folder on the new 4TB CSV and then move the VM's 1 at a time.  I was looking at a bit different option and that was under the Storage>Disks and selecting the VDiskN1 and right clicking selecting Move>Select Node>selecting VDiskN1 and moving it to VDiskN2 for example, meaning perhaps moving the entire CSV content to VDiskN2. 

Yes, I did a 5GB witness disk just in case, but I guess 1 was enough.

Once I finish the move of VM's between CSV's (VDiskN1>VDiskN2) do I need to stipulate the new witness disk? Should it be pointing to VDiskN2 after the move?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Mike

Monday, March 06, 2017 9:14 PM
  • Hi Sir,

>>when I build the cluster the folder "Cluster" it's only showing on VDiskN1 and not on any of the other 3 VM host

As you mentioned it is a 2012R2 cluster .

CSV volume  would be located under "c:\clusterstorage\" on each cluster node :

>>I was looking at a bit different option and that was under the Storage>Disks and selecting the VDiskN1 and right clicking selecting Move>Select Node>selecting VDiskN1 and moving it to VDiskN2 for example, meaning perhaps moving the entire CSV content to VDiskN2. 

This operation only change "owner node" for that CSV .

If you want to move VM from one CSV to another CSV , please consider using "move" VM in cluster manager:

Hope it is helpful to you .

In addition , you don't need to change witness disk .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Thank you Elton for your reply,

I'm currently doing 1 as a test, selecting a VM (vhd, etc) and moving it using the Virtual Machine Storage option and then doing a move>live migration>Select Node in order to move the vm ownership to a different vm host.  I will reply again to this thread once I hope all goes well.  Once I'm able to successfully move all the complete vm's from 1 CSV to the other CSV my intention is to delete that previous storage disk and rebuild it as a GPT disk in order to be able to grow beyond the 2TB limit that the MBR's are capable off.  Thanks again for the support!!!

Mike

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 1:54 PM
  • "I'm currently doing 1 as a test, selecting a VM (vhd, etc) and moving it using the Virtual Machine Storage option and then doing a move>live migration>Select Node in order to move the vm ownership to a different vm host."

That selection, move>live migration>select node, does not move the storage.  It just moves the ownership of the VM.  All the storage for the VM will stay in its current location.  In order to move the storage to a new location, you need to select the option Elton illustrates - move>virtual machine storage.

Since the nodes of the cluster share storage, performing just a live migration does not alter the storage location.  You have to be specific in selecting the storage movement if you want to move storage off one storage resource onto another storage resource.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 2:20 PM
  • I would like thank both Tim and Elton for your expert advice, everything worked like a breeze.

I was able to create the new GPT volumes on the physical hosts, which are now capable to go beyond the 2TB mark.  Then add each individual disk to the cluster and as CSV storage.  Then I created the "Cluster" folder where I later migrated the full VM's and all in real time without any issues.  Everything is working accordingly.

I did notice that a folder needed to be created on the destination host before the life virtual machine storage process and after the process is complete the empty folders from the previous host needed to be deleted.

Thank you so much gentlemen and God Bless!

Mike

Thursday, March 09, 2017 8:02 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Glad to hear that .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 3:03 AM